Torque and Rotational Kinematics

In summary, the problem involves a rotating grindstone with a diameter of 0.490 m and mass of 50.0 kg, rotating at 890 rev/min. When a normal force of 170 N is applied to the rim, the grindstone comes to rest in 7.20 seconds. Using the equations τ=Iα, ωz=ω0z+μkαt, and τ=r×F, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated to be √(Mrω0z/2tf).
zbobet2012

Homework Statement

A grindstone in the shape of a solid disk with diameter 0.490 m and a mass of m = 50.0 kg is rotating at omega = 890 rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with a normal force of F = 170 N, and the grindstone comes to rest in 7.20 s.

Homework Equations

τ=Iα
ωz0zkαt
τ=r×F

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\tau =I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]{\omega }_z={\omega }_{0z}+{\mu }_k\alpha t[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]

[tex]\tau =\frac{1}{2}MR^2\alpha[/tex]

[tex]{\omega }_z=0\alpha =\ \frac{{\omega }_{0z}}{{\mu }_kt}[/tex]

[tex]\tau =-\frac{1}{2}Mr^2\frac{{\omega }_{0z}}{{\mu }_kt} [/tex]

[tex]\tau =r\times F[/tex]

[tex]r\times F=\frac{1}{2}Mr^2\frac{{\omega }_{0z}}{{\mu }_kt}[/tex]

[tex]{\mu }_k=\frac{Mr{\omega }_{0z}}{2tF}[/tex]

[tex]F=f{\mu }_k[/tex]

[tex]{\mu }_k=\frac{Mr{\omega }_{0z}}{2tf{\mu }_k}[/tex]

[tex]{\mu }^2_k=\frac{Mr{\omega }_{0z}}{2tf}[/tex]

[tex]{\mu }_k=\sqrt{\frac{Mr{\omega }_{0z}}{2tf}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, although not provided in the question, I am assuming that you are supposed to find coefficient of kintic friction. (Your attempt at the solution tells me that.)
You erred in this statement:
zbobet2012 said:
[tex]\tau =r\times F[/tex]

[tex]r\times F=\frac{1}{2}Mr^2\frac{{\omega }_{0z}}{{\mu }_kt}[/tex]

Note that, torque produced by F is not the one which is producing deceleration in the disc (It is in a perpendicular direction to ωz!), rather it is f, torque due to friction which is producing deceleration. Keep this in mind and I hope you would be able to solve it, as you know other things, it seems.

[tex]F=f{\mu }_k[/tex] <---isn't that the force due to friction? Or am I confused? Realizing I kind of messed up my notation, [tex]f = 170N[/tex] and [tex]F_{friction}=F[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Torque and Rotational Kinematics

1. What is torque and how is it different from force?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It is different from force, which is a measure of the linear force acting on an object. Torque is the product of force and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion. This is because torque causes an object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate. Conversely, if there is no torque acting on an object, it will not rotate.

3. What is the difference between angular and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s) while linear velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the more force is required to cause the object to rotate. This means that objects with a larger moment of inertia will rotate more slowly compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the object's angular acceleration will be. This also means that the larger the moment of inertia, the smaller the object's angular acceleration will be for a given torque.