Topology question: finite sets

In summary, Dick has provided a method to learn about the finite set of all functions from a given set. He starts with an example and introduces notation which implies that the cardinality of the set is infinite. To show that this is not the case, he provides a way to count the number of functions. If cardinality of A is 2 and the cardinality of B is 3, then the number of functions is 2 choose 3.
zfolwick

Homework Statement

If A and B are finite, show that the set of all functions f: A --> B is finite.

Homework Equations

finite unions and finite caretesian products of finite sets are finite

The Attempt at a Solution

If f: A -> B is finite, then there exists m functions fm mapping to B. Let Bm = {f1, f2, ... , fm: fx(A) [itex]\in[/itex]B [itex]\forall[/itex] x[itex]\in[/itex] Z+}. There is a bijection from Bm to Z+ and g: Bm -- {1,. .. ,m} so the set of functions is finite.

I don't feel like this is enough. Could I get a little help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not so much 'not enough' as just plain confusing. Let a be the number of elements in A and b be the number of elements in B. How many functions from A->B? You can just count them. Suppose a=2 and b=3? How many functions in that case?

do you mean if the cardinality of A is 2 and the cardinality of B is 3?

zfolwick said:
do you mean if the cardinality of A is 2 and the cardinality of B is 3?
Yes. That's what Dick said.

In my opinion, Dick has started an excellent method to learn how this works. Start there & understand where that's going thoroughly, then digest my post.

I used to get points taken off for things like notation which assumes m is finite.

Possible Workarounds,
A. there exists m functions, m is possibly infinite, fm ...
B. restructure the proof, without using notation which implies m is finite, until finiteness is established.

One key, how does the Cartesian product of A & B, written A x B relate to the number of possible functions?

Minor point: in Dick's example, a=2, b=3, none of the functions will be onto. One might be tempted to use factorials, nCr or nPn, but those are only in the right subject area, not what we actually need.

"One key, how does the Cartesian product of A & B, written A x B relate to the number of possible functions?"

A x B must be countable since A and B are finite and countable. A x B must be finite.

Then the set F = {f: A -->B} can be injectively mapped to the integers to get {(a, f(a)), (b,f(b)), (c,f(c)),...}. Then since A = {a1, a2, a3,... , a_m}, then B=(f(a1), f(a2), ...f(a_m)} is finite.
But that isn't what I was looking for... :-\

the NUMBER of functions mapping A to B is finite. If cardinality of A is 2 and the cardinality of B is 3, then the number of different mappings should be "2 choose 3" right? so then if the cardinality of A is m and cardinality of B is n then the number of different ways should be "m choose n"? (I can't find the proper latex commands).

Is this just about right?

Actually 2 choose 3, written 2C3 = 0.
Perhaps you meant 3C2 =3
At first I was tempted to use 3 choose 2, but the right formula is even simpler. If necessary, write out the various possible functions from A to B. For simplicity, let 1,2,3 be in A, and e,f be in B.
Have you included {(1,e), (2,e), (3,e)}?

thanks for the notation correction nickalh. I was assuming that the cardinality of A is 2 and the cardinality of B is 3, not the other way around (based on what dick said in post 2). But you're quite correct... now I'm confused... perhaps the combinatorics only works for injective functions?

Either way, the number of functions mapping a 3 element set to a 2 element set appears to be 3C2 = 3

Whoops, I switched the cardinalities of A & B.
I have rewritten my previous post to be consistent with the rest of the thread.

At first I was tempted to use 3 choose 2, but the right formula is even simpler. If necessary, write out the various possible functions from A to B. For simplicity, let 1,2 be in A, and e,f,g be in B.
Have you included {(1,e), (2,e)}?
And 3C2 is *not* what we want.

To help clear up your confusion:
i. For f(1) how many possible choices are there?
ii. For f(2) how many possible choices are there?
(injectivity is not required unless that was left out of the original problem statement)
iii. Multiply the answer for i. * answer for ii.

Off the top of my head, I believe 3C2 is right for injective, 1 to 1, functions.Unrelated tangent:
Also, pretend for a moment we needed 3C2.
To get around the 2C3 dilemna, I would define a new piecewise function, C'.
C'(m,n) = mCn if m>=n
nCm if m<n
Why can we swap m & n so easily? Because | A X B | = |B X A|.
Does anyone know how to display piecewise functions on this board?

Last edited:

Related to Topology question: finite sets

1. What is a finite set?

A finite set is a set that contains a specific number of elements. This means that there is a limit to the number of objects or elements that can be included in the set. For example, the set {1, 2, 3} is a finite set because it contains three elements.

2. How is a finite set different from an infinite set?

A finite set has a specific number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited number of elements. In other words, a finite set has an endpoint, while an infinite set does not.

3. What is a topology question related to finite sets?

A topology question related to finite sets could be asking about the number of open and closed sets in a finite topological space. This can help determine the structure and properties of the space.

4. Can a finite set be empty?

Yes, a finite set can be empty. An empty set is a set with no elements, and since a finite set can have a specific number of elements, it is possible for it to have zero elements.

5. How is topology used in studying finite sets?

Topology is used in studying finite sets by providing a framework for understanding the structure and properties of these sets. It allows for the classification and comparison of finite sets based on their topological properties, such as open and closed sets, compactness, and connectedness.