Tips on applications of matrices

In summary, the teacher is introducing linear algebra, and has some ideas for applications that can be explained in 40 minutes or less. He talks about Markov chains and Coupling matrices, and suggests further ideas like economics. He finishes by saying that he is a robot guy and his favorite application of matrix methods is Homogeneous Coordinate Transformations.
Kontilera
Hello!
Im currently teaching a math course on a upper secondary school, where we are doing some linear algebra (it is the last math course before the students continue for university). After a brief introduction I want to show some interesting applications of matrices. Applications which can be explained in 40 min or less.

My ideas are:
Markov chains and Coupling matrices

Any more ideas? Maybe something regarding economics? Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Kontilera said:
Any more ideas? Maybe something regarding economics?
For economics you could look up Leontief's input-output model. An introductory discussion can be found in D.C. Lay's Linear Algebra and its Applications. Recommended :smile:

Thanks! Will check it up!

tygerdawg said:
Since I'm a robot guy, my favorite is Homogeneous Coordinate Transformations.
Along these lines, aircraft flight analysis and simulation is full of coordinate transformations (accelerometer box installation <=> airplane body <=> locally level <=> Earth Centered Earth Fixed; engine thrust <=> airplane body <=> relative wind; etc.)

tygerdawg said:
Since I'm a robot guy, my favorite is Homogeneous Coordinate Transformations.

You mean projective geometry?

Kontilera said:
Hello!
Im currently teaching a math course on a upper secondary school, where we are doing some linear algebra (it is the last math course before the students continue for university). After a brief introduction I want to show some interesting applications of matrices. Applications which can be explained in 40 min or less.

My ideas are:
Markov chains and Coupling matrices

Any more ideas? Maybe something regarding economics?Thanks!
Why not introduce matrices as observables in quantum mechanics and explain that their eigenvalues are the possible outcomes that a measurement of that observable may give?

z
nrqed said:
Why not introduce matrices as observables in quantum mechanics and explain that their eigenvalues are the possible outcomes that a measurement of that observable may give?

Because they are high school students and not university students.

I have given Year 12 students assignments with question on Markov chains & Leontief models. They are expected to do some research themselves & we will discuss the questions in class (but not give exact solutions). These were at a Grammar school where expectation are high; I would not do it in a government school.

nrqed said:
There are so many concrete applications of matrices that I think would be better.

FactChecker said:
There are so many concrete applications of matrices that I think would be better.

Perhaps, but as one application among several, a simple explanation of matrices in quantum mechanics (like a two state system) can demonstrate the breadth of applications like few things can when limited to engineering and classical physics. I've never had the luxury of several 40 minute classes to discuss applications of matrices, but if I did, an example from quantum mechanics would be on the short list.

I usually consider the interests and perspective of the students when choosing examples. At the Air Force Academy, the math faculty worked hard to provide simple (yet not oversimplified) examples of Air Force and military applications. At the community college where I taught, students tended to be most receptive to examples from sports. Had a class with lots of aspiring medical professionals one time, so they tended to appreciate examples connected with health, anatomy, and medicine.

If I had a class where students showed an interest in physics, especially modern physics, I'd be eager to draw examples of applications from quantum mechanics. Of course, these are the students many math (and physics) teachers dream of and seldom see.

Likes FactChecker
The most common application of matrix methods is in solving the large sets of simultaneous equations that can arise when analysing physical problems using numerical methods .

Matrix methods have application in many real world problems like structural analysis and fluid mechanics .

One of the most commonly used tools in engineering is Finite Element Analysis . This is entirely based on matrix methods .

The solution of problems defined in matrix form is interesting in itself . Solution is possible by brute force but over the years many sophisticated methods have been developed to reduce computational time and improve accuracy .

thank you so much. I actually used several of the tips you gave me.

Related to Tips on applications of matrices

1. What are some real-life applications of matrices?

Matrices are used in a variety of fields and industries, including computer graphics, economics, engineering, and physics. They are commonly used to represent data sets, transform coordinates in geometry, and solve systems of equations.

2. Can matrices be used in machine learning and data analysis?

Yes, matrices are a fundamental tool in machine learning and data analysis. They are used to represent and manipulate large data sets, perform calculations to extract patterns and insights, and make predictions based on statistical models.

3. How do matrices help with image processing and computer vision?

Matrices are used to represent images as a grid of pixels, making it easier to manipulate and process them. They are also used in computer vision algorithms to perform tasks such as object recognition and image enhancement.

4. Are there any limitations to using matrices in practical applications?

While matrices are a powerful mathematical tool, they do have some limitations. For example, they can become computationally expensive when dealing with very large data sets, and they may not always accurately represent real-world systems due to simplifications and assumptions.

5. How can I improve my understanding and use of matrices in my work?

To improve your understanding and use of matrices, it is important to practice solving problems and working with matrices in different contexts. You can also read textbooks and online resources, take courses, and collaborate with others who have experience using matrices in their work.