Time Travel & Proportionality of Motion: Exploring +ve & -ve Changes

In summary, traveling near the speed of light and coming back to Earth would result in the traveler being younger than those who stayed on Earth. However, traveling at twice the speed of light does not result in negative time travel, as material objects cannot move at or above the speed of light. The relationship between length, mass, and time in relation to motion is not proportional, as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
shawn1990
ok, so i understandthat if i travel near the speed of light for a while and come back on Earth than i would be younger than the rest...but what if i travel x2 c than does it relate to -ve time travel?
since length, mass, time are proportional to motion, how does it relate to traveling more than the speed of light??

Physics news on Phys.org
shawn1990 said:
ok, so i understandthat if i travel near the speed of light for a while and come back on Earth than i would be younger than the rest...but what if i travel x2 c than does it relate to -ve time travel?
Material objects can't move at or above c.

shawn1990 said:
since length, mass, time are proportional to motion, how does it relate to traveling more than the speed of light??

I don't think you mean "proportional," do you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportionality_(mathematics)

@shawn1990 ,dude nothing can bypass the speed of light >.<

Related to Time Travel & Proportionality of Motion: Exploring +ve & -ve Changes

1. What is time travel and how does it work?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time, either moving forward or backward. It is a theoretical concept that has been explored in science fiction and through various scientific theories, but it has not been proven to be possible. The most commonly accepted theory for time travel involves manipulating the fabric of space-time, but this remains a hypothetical possibility.

2. Can we travel back in time and change the past?

This question is a matter of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that if time travel were possible, it would not be possible to change the past. Others argue that changing the past could create paradoxes and alter the present or future. However, as time travel is currently not possible, it is impossible to definitively answer this question.

3. Is time travel only possible in one direction?

Again, this is a matter of debate and theoretical speculation. Some theories suggest that time travel could only occur in one direction, while others propose that both forward and backward time travel may be possible. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of time travel in any direction.

4. How does the concept of proportionality of motion relate to time travel?

The concept of proportionality of motion is based on the idea that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of time travel, this means that any changes made to the past could have significant consequences in the present or future. For example, even the smallest change in the past could have a butterfly effect on the timeline.

5. What are some of the potential implications of time travel?

If time travel were possible, it could have enormous implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also raise ethical questions about altering the past and the potential consequences of doing so. Additionally, time travel could have practical applications, such as allowing us to explore different points in history or potentially preventing future disasters.