Time on Planet X: Solving for the Alignment of Clock Hands

In summary, the Planet X wall clock has two hands that turn in opposite directions at uniform rates. The hands are first aligned at midnight and next aligned at 4.27*10^-2 seconds after midnight.
phyhelp

Homework Statement

A wall clock on Planet X has two hands that are aligned at midnight and turn in the same direction at uniform rates, one at 4.27×10−2 rad/ s and the other at 1.62×10−2 rad/s . At how many seconds after midnight are these hands first aligned and next aligned?

Homework Equations

ω= θ/ t

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. Should i try to solve for when their angles are equal?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi phyhelp. Think about how much of an angle the faster hand has to go through to meet up with the slower hand for the second time, the first time, their angles are 0 at t=0. Substitute your equation [itex]\omega=\frac{\theta}{t}[/itex] for each angle with the appropriate angular frequency and solve for t.

Should i try to solve for when their angles are equal?
Yes.
Find the time the faster hand to turn 1 rev or 2∏ radians.
Then start chasing the slower hand which in turn has moved to certain angle from midnight.

Last edited:

No, not equal, that would just give t=0. Solve for when the angle is as you said 2[itex]\pi[/itex] of the other one. For the second time they meet after t=0, this would just be 2revolutions or 4[itex]\pi[/itex]. You can see that in general they'll meet when [itex]\theta_1=\theta_2+2n\pi[/itex], where n is the n'th time they meet after t=0.

I'm sorry but I'm still lost. Using the equation ω=θ/t, i solved for t when θ= 2∏ rad and ω= 4.27*10^-2 and 1.62*10^-2 and I got 147.147 s and 387.85 s, respectively. Am I on the right track?

What you're working out there is the time it takes for the respective hand to cover an angle of 2[itex]\pi[/itex]. Instead use [itex]\theta_1=\theta_2+2\pi[/itex], [itex]\omega_1=\frac{\theta_1}{t}[/itex] & [itex]\omega_2=\frac{\theta_2}{t}[/itex], where 1 is the faster hand and 2 the other.

ω1 the faster one.
Time for ω1 to return to midnight position is also the time for ω2 to move to θ1
Now start the race. ω1 at midnight and ω2 at angle θ1 ahead.
They will meet at same angle θ2 at the same time, t

ω1t=θ2 (1)
ω2t+θ1=θ2 (2)
or
ω2t+Tω1ω2=θ2

Then at θ2 is your new second virtual midnight.

Last edited:

Another option for looking at this problem is by saying that the difference of the two hands angular positions is a multiple of 2π.
So you can say that t(ω1 - ω2) = 2π * n
If n = 0 then t = 0, which means that the hands line up at t = 0 (which we are told).
So if you set n = 1, it will give the first time that the hands line up again.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

Related to Time on Planet X: Solving for the Alignment of Clock Hands

1. What is the purpose of the study "Time on Planet X"?

The purpose of this study is to determine the alignment of clock hands on Planet X and how it relates to time measurement. This information can help us understand the concept of time on other planets and potentially aid in the development of interplanetary timekeeping systems.

2. How does time measurement on Planet X differ from Earth?

On Planet X, time measurement is based on the alignment of two clock hands rather than the rotation of the planet. This means that the length of a day on Planet X may differ from Earth's 24-hour day. Additionally, the alignment of clock hands may vary depending on the location and position of the planet in its orbit.

3. What factors affect the alignment of clock hands on Planet X?

The alignment of clock hands on Planet X is affected by the planet's orbit, rotation, and tilt. These factors can cause variations in the length of a day and the position of the clock hands, leading to a unique time measurement system on Planet X.

4. How is the alignment of clock hands on Planet X measured?

Scientists use advanced technology and mathematical calculations to measure the alignment of clock hands on Planet X. This involves tracking the planet's orbit, rotation, and tilt and analyzing the data to determine the position and movement of the clock hands.

5. What are the potential applications of this study?

The study of time on Planet X can have various applications, including improving our understanding of time measurement on other planets, aiding in the development of interplanetary timekeeping systems, and potentially providing insights into the formation and evolution of the planet itself.