Time it takes to accelerate from 60-130mph

In summary, some guys say, by rolling at constant 45mph and then accelerating from there through 60-130mph gives you a lower time; due to less gear changes and break boosting. The main issue is changing into the starting gear needed for a 60 mph to 130 mph run and if a turbo is used, getting the turbo at max boost before reaching 60 mph. With some high performance cars, 1st gear redlines around 60mph, so it would be better to shift into 2nd gear at a lower speed.
Stay Tuned...
So in the world of high end performance cars, this is yet another measuring stick to determine a cars acceleration prowess. Their 60-130mph times are measured using GPS devices in the car, given a minimum gradient restriction.

Different divers have different techniques which they feel give them the advantage. Some doing it drag race style; start from 0mph and floor it all the way through 130mph, which is how the current world record was set (7/11/13) at 2.67s for 60-130mph. Another record was set on that same run of 2.45s for 100-150mph.

On the other hand, some guys say, by rolling at constant 45mph and then accelerating from there through 60-130mph gives you a lower time; due to less gear changes and break boosting.

In my head, it seems like starting from 0mph would be the more efficient way to lower the time it would take to go through 60-130 vs rolling from 45mph. Acceleration, Momentum, Inertia ?

Any calculations/formulas showing the advantages of either way would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Engineering news on Phys.org
The main issue is changing into the starting gear needed for a 60 mph to 130 mph run and if a turbo is used, getting the turbo at max boost before reaching 60 mph. With some high performance cars, 1st gear redlines around 60mph, so it would be better to shift into 2nd gear at a lower speed.

What are the rules about what qualifies as a high performance car? Are special purpose modified drag cars allowed?

the only rules are that it has to be measured using GPS, and verified with video and restricted to a minimum gradient. It's mostly for street cars to mimic most real work encounters...from a rolling start on the street. It's very difficult to launch a high performance car, and 0-60 doesn't tell the true performance of a high horsepower car.

Stay Tuned... said:
0-60 doesn't tell the true performance

How about you take it to a road course to measure the "true performance."
Oh wait, we're talking about performance in the context of street racing on the freeway..

If you're so concerned about finding a measure that mimics that particular scenario, then why not measure 60-130 without a head start at all?

BTW, I got my money on the Cobra, they always win.

afreiden said:
How about you take it to a road course to measure the "true performance."
Oh wait, we're talking about performance in the context of street racing on the freeway..

If you're so concerned about finding a measure that mimics that particular scenario, then why not measure 60-130 without a head start at all?

BTW, I got my money on the Cobra, they always win.

It doesn't have to be done on the street. Many events at rented airport runways have 0-130, 60-130, half mile roll starts etc etc.

Where is this cobra you speak of? How much are you willing to wager.

Does the "street" car have to use the same fuel at the drag strip as it does on the street? If not, here's a video of some fast "street" cars (some use alternate fuel and/or nitrous oxide assist at the strip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eJWSxNzMD4&hd=1

There are other youtube videos of Larry Larson sub 7 second runs, but some have bad language in them so I didn't post links to those. You can search youtube for Larry Larson to find the runs.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Does the "street" car have to use the same fuel at the drag strip as it does on the street? If not, here's a video of a fast "street" car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lwF-kr91uxU&hd=1

There are no restrictions other than using a GPS and not going down hill steeper than a predetermined gradient.

What happens before the start of the timed run is largely irrelevent, apart from the time immediately before the timed run. You stick as close as you can to a maximum power acceleration throughout the timed run as your gearing will allow.

It really is that simple.

Put another way, in the 0-130 run, you pass through 45mph, in a gear, at a caertain engine speed. So long as you have enough time to go WOT before you get to 60 (and thus the same acceleration as the 0-130 run). So why not start in that condition?

Maximum acceleration standing starts are the single hardest thing you can do to your driveline. Why stress everything unnecessarily?

Stay Tuned... said:
Different divers have different techniques which they feel give them the advantage. Some doing it drag race style; start from 0mph and floor it all the way through 130mph, which is how the current world record was set (7/11/13) at 2.67s for 60-130mph. Another record was set on that same run of 2.45s for 100-150mph.

You know, I'm pretty sure that's not the record. This thing is definitely faster:

(You didn't specify street-legal cars for this)

Last edited by a moderator:
cjl said:
You know, I'm pretty sure that's not the record. This thing is definitely faster:

(You didn't specify street-legal cars for this)

Lol. Yes. Of course these top fuel dragsters are much faster than street legal cars.

Here's our daily driven street car (with A/C and all comfort items intact) being the first to 250mph.

HowlerMonkey said:
Here's our daily driven street car (with A/C and all comfort items intact) being the first to 250mph.

That's awesome. Good stuff! I remember seeing vids of that car. I will be at the Texas mile with my friend and his Porsche this October. Will you be competing also ?

We do our stuff at the shuttle landing facility runway at kennedy space center now.

The surface has selections of ungrooved, deep grooved, and shallow grooved concrete with a 3 mile runway that's super wide which is mostly responsible for our jump from around 260mph runs to 283mph because we can run much higher boost (torque) in each gear than anywhere else.

We'll be making a 300mph standing mile attempt in a few months but the horsepower requirement may end up making the car unstreetable as it's now easily a daily driver.

Related to Time it takes to accelerate from 60-130mph

1. What is the average time it takes to accelerate from 60-130mph?

The average time it takes to accelerate from 60-130mph depends on various factors such as the type of vehicle, road conditions, and weather. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 7-12 seconds.

2. Does the weight of the vehicle affect the acceleration time?

Yes, the weight of the vehicle does affect the acceleration time. Heavier vehicles require more force and power to accelerate, which can result in a longer acceleration time compared to lighter vehicles.

3. How does the type of engine impact the acceleration time?

The type of engine does play a significant role in the acceleration time. Vehicles with more powerful engines, such as V8 or V12, can accelerate from 60-130mph faster than vehicles with smaller engines, such as a 4-cylinder.

4. Is it better to accelerate gradually or quickly to reach 60-130mph?

It is better to accelerate gradually to reach 60-130mph. This allows the vehicle's engine and components to warm up and reach their optimal performance, resulting in a faster acceleration time.

5. What is the relationship between horsepower and acceleration time?

The higher the horsepower, the faster the acceleration time. Horsepower is a measure of an engine's power, and a higher horsepower engine can produce more power, allowing the vehicle to accelerate faster.