Three Cylinders On Top of a Rough Surface and the Force

In summary, the minimum angle between the force acting between the cylinders and the rough surface is 45°.
. Arctic.

Homework Statement

Three cylinders with the same size, density, and structure are piled on each other and on top of a rough surface. Find the minimum angle which the direction of the force acting between the cylinders and the rough surface makes with the vertical? The cylinders are stacked like this. There are two on the bottom and one at the top making a triangle shape. I'm not entirely sure if they want a number since no other information is given. I want to say it's at 45° angle, but I keep thinking I have to prove it using various equations. I wouldn't mind a hint. Thanks in advance for your help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things aren't clear: is the surface horizontal? are the cylinders rough enough to prevent slipping between themselves?
If yes to both then I would think you can calculate the angle exactly, so it's not a matter of there being a minimum angle. OTOH, if no to both then I would think there's not enough information.

Yeah. The surface they are on top definitely is horizontal and from looking at the drawing provided, the cylinders are in fact rough enough to stay on top of each other without slipping. I may be over thinking it.

Ok, I think I now see why it's still a matter of finding a minimum. So, put in some unknowns for magnitudes and directions of forces (using the symmetry) and write down free body equations for static equilbrium.

Here is some additional information.

Can be solved using F=ma in the x and the y direction. Study, for example, the bottom right cylinder. In the y direction, you have the weight of the cylinder, the y-component of the friction, between the top cylinder and the bottom right cylinder, the y-component of the push caused by the top cylinder on the bottom right cylinder. The sum of the y-component of all these 3 forces is equal to 3W/2. In the x-direction you have the push coming in from the bottom left cylinder and acting on the bottom right cylinder, you have the x-component of the friction between the top cylinder and the bottom right cylinder, the friction from the ground acting on the bottom cylinder and another force. To get a minimum angle set the horizontal force acting by the left cylinder on the right cylinder equal to zero.

Quite so. So go ahead and write out the free body equations for one of the lower cylinders. Create symbols for unknown forces as necessary (using a different symbol for each). Look at the sum of vertical forces, the sum of horizontal forces, and moments about the centre of the cylinder.

Thanks for all the help.

Related to Three Cylinders On Top of a Rough Surface and the Force

1. What is the purpose of studying the relationship between three cylinders on top of a rough surface and the force?

The purpose of this study is to understand how the presence of a rough surface affects the distribution of force between three cylinders. This information can have practical applications in engineering and design, as well as in understanding natural phenomena.

2. How do you measure the force exerted on each cylinder in this scenario?

The force exerted on each cylinder can be measured using a force sensor or load cell. This device measures the amount of force applied to it and can be placed between the cylinder and the surface to accurately measure the force.

3. What factors can influence the distribution of force between the cylinders?

The distribution of force between the cylinders can be influenced by factors such as the surface roughness, the weight and size of each cylinder, and the angle at which they are placed on the surface. Additionally, the material properties of the cylinders and the surface can also play a role.

4. How does the force change as the roughness of the surface increases?

As the roughness of the surface increases, the force exerted on each cylinder may also increase. This is because a rougher surface creates more friction, which can result in a higher distribution of force between the cylinders.

5. What are the potential applications of this research?

The findings from this research can be applied in various fields such as engineering, material science, and geology. For example, understanding the force distribution between cylinders on a rough surface can help in designing more stable structures or predicting the movement of objects on uneven terrain. It can also provide insights into natural phenomena such as landslides or rock formations.