This is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the specified point.

In summary, the magnitude of the magnetic field along a circle halfway between the inner and outer edges of the toroid, with a wire carrying a current of 7.10 Amperes wrapped around it 820 times, and inner and outer radii of 23.0 cm and 27.6 cm respectively, is 0.077 T.
dangish
The toroid shown in the figure has a wire carrying a current I= 7.10 Amperes wrapped around it N= 820 times. The inner radius is R1 23.0 cm and outer radius R2 27.6cm.

Figure:
http://capaserv.physics.mun.ca/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype63/prob01_torus.gif

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field along a circle that is halfway between the inner and outer edges of the toroid?

Here is what I tried,

B = u0*I*r*N / (2Pi*R^2)

maybe I have to divide N by the current and replace the N in my equation above by N/I??

Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
.No, you don't need to divide N by the current. The equation you have is correct. The magnitude of the magnetic field along a circle that is halfway between the inner and outer edges of the toroid is given by:B = (μ0 * I * N) / (2π * (R2^2 - R1^2))where μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10-7 T.m/A).Substituting the given values, we get:B = (4π x 10-7 T.m/A * 7.10 A * 820) / (2π * (27.6^2 - 23.0^2))B = 0.077 T

Related to This is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the specified point.

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a three-dimensional object with a circular cross-section and a hollow center. It is often referred to as a donut-shaped object.

2. How does a toroid create a magnetic field?

A toroid creates a magnetic field by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around its circumference. This current generates a magnetic field that is concentrated in the center of the toroid.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a toroid?

The direction of the magnetic field in a toroid is parallel to the axis of the toroid, pointing in the same direction as the electric current flowing through the wire.

4. How is the strength of the magnetic field in a toroid determined?

The strength of the magnetic field in a toroid is determined by the number of turns in the wire, the current flowing through the wire, and the material of the core (if present). The more turns and higher current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. What are some applications of the magnetic field of a toroid?

Some common applications of the magnetic field of a toroid include inductors in electronic circuits, generators, and transformers. It is also used in scientific research and medical imaging technologies.