Thermometer touching the floor and a carpet

In summary, the thermometer will still show the temperature of the object eventually, but if the object is made of an insulating material there may be some delay.
Karol

Homework Statement

A thermometer touches the floor and the other touches a wool carpet lying on the floor. what will the two thermometers show, the same or different temperatures

Homework Equations

Two materials touching each other the heat moves from the warm to the cold one

The Attempt at a Solution

I heard that the thermometer won't feel the heat if it doesn't pass to it. so, is it true that if i touch a warm isolating material like a ceramic brick with a thermometer it won't show the real temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it true that a ceramic brick completely blocks all transfer of heat?

no, of course not, only vacuum blocks heat transfer by conduction, but i might feel the brick colder than it really is, if i touch it by hand or apply a thermometer to it

Karol said:
no, of course not, only vacuum blocks heat transfer by conduction,
So suppose you put a thermometer, initially at 20C, on a ceramic tile at 30C and wait. What will happen?

well, with time the thermometer will show 30C

Karol said:
well, with time the thermometer will show 30C
Exactly. The thermometer will still show the temperature of the object eventually, but if the object is made of an insulating material there may be some delay. Does this answer your original question?

well, maybe it answers. but if i touch a very hot ceramic brick, will i feel it's real temperature, will i be burned or not? because the heat transfer is slow.

Karol said:
well, maybe it answers. but if i touch a very hot ceramic brick, will i feel it's real temperature, will i be burned or not? because the heat transfer is slow.
This is a bit different because you have a lot more thermal capacity than a thermometer has. Instantaneously it should feel pretty hot, but then the region close to you finger cools a bit because of the heat lost to you, and the heat you absorbed is carried away by your bloodstream. So the heat keeps flowing into you from the brick, but you get rid of it fast enough that your finger stays relatively cool.
This is why people can walk on hot coals.

Thanks

Related to Thermometer touching the floor and a carpet

1. What happens when a thermometer touches the floor or a carpet?

When a thermometer touches the floor or carpet, the temperature reading may be affected due to the transfer of heat from the surface. The material of the surface can also impact the accuracy of the temperature reading.

2. Will a thermometer touching the floor or carpet give an accurate reading?

It is possible for a thermometer to give an accurate reading even when touching the floor or carpet. However, it is important to consider the material and temperature of the surface when interpreting the reading.

3. Can the temperature of the floor or carpet affect the temperature reading on a thermometer?

Yes, the temperature of the surface can affect the temperature reading on a thermometer. This is because the thermometer is measuring the temperature of the surface it is in contact with.

4. How can I ensure an accurate temperature reading when using a thermometer on a floor or carpet?

To ensure an accurate temperature reading when using a thermometer on a floor or carpet, try to avoid direct contact with the surface. Hold the thermometer slightly above the surface and allow a few seconds for the temperature to stabilize before taking the reading.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a thermometer on a floor or carpet?

It is important to consider the material and temperature of the surface when using a thermometer on a floor or carpet. Additionally, avoid placing the thermometer near heat sources or in direct sunlight as this can also affect the accuracy of the reading.