Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the variables involved in the equation 4.5.9, which describes the internal energy U in terms of temperature T, chemical potential alpha, volume V, and number of particles N. The differentiation of these variables is discussed, with the conclusion that three parameters are needed to specify U, not four. The conversation also touches on the use of the fugacity z and the partial derivatives of U with respect to T, N, and V. Ultimately, the equation 4.5.9 is derived by setting dz and dV equal to zero and taking a partial derivative with respect to T at constant z and V.
IcedCoffee
I'm confused about the mathematics that led to the equation 4.5.9.

upload_2018-10-9_16-19-51.png

Specifically, I'm confused about what the variables that describe U are.

From the equation

upload_2018-10-9_16-26-44.png

I think temperature T(through beta), chemical potential (through alpha), V (through E_s) and N (through... restriction on the summation?) defines the (average) internal energy U,

but how should I do the differentiation? What I ended up was that the chemical potential dependence can be changed to the dependence on the fugacity z so that

upload_2018-10-9_16-29-42.png

but it doesn't seem to be exactly eq.4.5.9 to me.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-9_16-19-51.png
    upload_2018-10-9_16-19-51.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 753
  • upload_2018-10-9_16-26-44.png
    upload_2018-10-9_16-26-44.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 726
  • upload_2018-10-9_16-29-42.png
    upload_2018-10-9_16-29-42.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 459
Science news on Phys.org
I have the answer. It's going to take me a few minutes to write out the partial derivatives in Latex... ## \\ ## ## z=z(T, N,V) ##, so that ## U(T,z,V)=U(T,N,V) ## . ## \\ ## Three parameters are need to specify ## U ##, not 4 . Any 3 of the 4, (##z,T,N,V ##), can be chosen.## \\ ## Now using the first expression for ## U ##, ## \\ ## ## dU=(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{T}})_{z,V} \, dT+(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{z}})_{V,T} \, dz+(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{V}})_{z,T} \, dV ##. ## \\ ## Taking the second expression: ## \\ ## ## dU=(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{T}})_{N,V} \, dT+(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{N}})_{V,T} \, dN+(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{V}})_{N,T} \, dV ##. ## \\ ## Now, set ## dz=0 ## and ## dV=0 ##, and set the two ## dU's ## equal. Take a partial w.r.t. ## T ## at constant ## z,V ##, (we set ## dz ## and ## dV=0 ## ), =divide through by ## dT ## everywhere, and the result is the equation 4.5.9. ## \\ ## @Chestermiller This is a good thermodynamics problem that the OP has. Might you have anything to add?

Last edited:
@IcedCoffee You have a very interesting question, but so far you haven't returned to see the answer.

Related to Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9

1. What is Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9?

Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 is a mathematical equation used in thermodynamics to describe the relation between the entropy and the internal energy of a system.

2. How is Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 derived?

Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 is derived from the fundamental thermodynamic equations and the definition of entropy as a function of internal energy and volume.

3. What is the significance of Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9?

Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 is significant because it allows us to calculate the change in entropy of a thermodynamic system without having to measure it directly, which can be difficult or impossible in certain cases.

4. Can Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 be used for all systems?

Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 is applicable to systems in thermodynamic equilibrium, which means that it can be used for a wide range of systems including gases, liquids, and solids.

5. How does Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics Pathria Eq.4.5.9 is a mathematical representation of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always tend towards a maximum value.