Thermodynamics First Law Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of ΔU, ΔKE, ΔPE, Q, and W for changes of state in a system consisting of a rock and water. The system starts at state 1, with the rock 20 m above the water, both at the same temperature T1. The rock then falls into the water and reaches states 2, 3, and 4, with different temperatures and energy levels. The equations used include the first law of thermodynamics and the calculation of mechanical energy. The main issue is identifying Q and W and whether the work done by the rock should be included in the overall work done by the system.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

Consider a rock having a mass of 5 kg and a bucket containing 50 kg of liquid water. Initially, the stone is 20 m above the water, and the stone and the water are at the same temperature, T1 (state 1). The stone then falls into the water.
For the system stone + water, determine ΔU, ΔKE, ΔPE, Q and W for the following changes of state: 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4, with:
(a) State 2: the stone is just about the enter the water;
(b) State 3: the stone has just come to rest in the bucket;
(c) State 4: heat has been transferred to the surroundings in such an amount that the stone and water are at the same temperature T1 (temperature of state 1).

Homework Equations

ΔE = Q - W (First Law)
ΔE = ΔE(mechanical) + ΔU
ΔE(mechanical) = ΔKE (kinetic energy) + ΔPE (potential energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am messing up when establishing my system... For example, when trying to calculate the kinetic energy of the system, it should be zero since the entire rock + water are one system and the entire system is not moving. However, the rock has kinetic energy from state 1 to state 2, so should I take that into account? Same with potential energy.

I also have no idea how to calculate Q and W other than using ΔE = Q - W. Is there another way?

Tips are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
My main issue is deciding what is Q and what is W. Do I include the work done by the rock in the overall work done by the system?

Related to Thermodynamics First Law Problem

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. What does the First Law of Thermodynamics mean for a thermodynamic system?

The First Law of Thermodynamics means that the total energy of a closed thermodynamic system remains constant. This includes the internal energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy of the system.

3. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics applied to thermodynamic processes?

The First Law of Thermodynamics can be applied to thermodynamic processes through the use of energy balance equations. These equations take into account the energy entering and leaving the system, as well as any changes in internal energy.

4. What are some examples of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action?

One example of the First Law of Thermodynamics is a car engine, where the chemical energy from gasoline is converted into mechanical energy to power the car. Another example is a refrigerator, where electrical energy is used to transfer heat from the inside of the refrigerator to the outside, cooling the contents inside.

5. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of heat?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that heat is a form of energy, and as such, it follows the law of conservation of energy. Heat can be transferred from one system to another, but the total amount of heat in a closed system remains constant.