Thermodynamics Cycle of Processes

In summary, the given problem involves a cyclic process of a fluid in a piston and cylinder device, with three processes A-B, B-C, and C-A. Process A-B involves 70kJ of work done on the fluid and 35kJ of heat rejected to the surroundings. Process B-C involves 50kJ of heat transferred to the fluid and no change in internal energy of the system. Process C-A involves 100kJ of work done by the fluid and the fluid returns to the initial state. In order to solve for the heat transferred in process C-A, the fact that the sum of the three changes in internal energy must be zero for a cyclic process is crucial. This information will be useful in using the relevant equation ΔU
liamporter1702

Homework Statement

A certain fluid of mass 1kg undergoes a cycle of processes in a piston and cylinder device as follows:

Process A-B: 70kJ of work done on the fluid. 35kJ of heat rejected to surroundings

Process B-C: 50kJ of heat transferred to the fluid. No change in internal energy of system.

Process C-A: 100kJ of work done by the fluid, fluid returns to the initial state.

Calculate the heat transferred to or from the fluid in process C-A.

Homework Equations

I know that ΔU=Q-W is a relevant equation as I have been able to work out the other parts of this question that I have not written here with it, this part is actually the first part of the question but I am finding it the hardest to see what to do here :redface:

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know whether you are supposed to use some of the values listed in Process A-B again or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
liamporter1702 said:

Homework Statement

A certain fluid of mass 1kg undergoes a cycle of processes in a piston and cylinder device as follows:

Process A-B: 70kJ of work done on the fluid. 35kJ of heat rejected to surroundings

Process B-C: 50kJ of heat transferred to the fluid. No change in internal energy of system.

Process C-A: 100kJ of work done by the fluid, fluid returns to the initial state.

Calculate the heat transferred to or from the fluid in process C-A.

Homework Equations

I know that ΔU=Q-W is a relevant equation as I have been able to work out the other parts of this question that I have not written here with it, this part is actually the first part of the question but I am finding it the hardest to see what to do here :redface:

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know whether you are supposed to use some of the values listed in Process A-B again or am I missing something?
What you're missing is that, for a cyclic process, the sum of the three ΔU's has to be zero.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Ah thank you very much for pointing that out! Much appreciated!

Related to Thermodynamics Cycle of Processes

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle of processes?

A thermodynamic cycle of processes is a series of connected thermodynamic processes that occur in a specific order and eventually return to their initial state. This cycle is used to analyze the energy exchange and work done in a system.

2. What are the main types of thermodynamic cycles?

The main types of thermodynamic cycles are Carnot cycle, Otto cycle, Diesel cycle, and Rankine cycle. Each type has its own characteristics and applications in different systems.

3. How does a thermodynamic cycle work?

A thermodynamic cycle starts with a system in its initial state, followed by a series of processes that change the state of the system. These processes can involve heat transfer, work done by or on the system, and/or changes in pressure and temperature. The cycle ends when the system returns to its initial state.

4. What is the importance of thermodynamic cycles?

Thermodynamic cycles are important in understanding and analyzing the energy exchange and work done in various systems, such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and engines. They help engineers and scientists design and improve these systems for maximum efficiency.

5. Can a thermodynamic cycle be 100% efficient?

No, a thermodynamic cycle cannot be 100% efficient. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that some energy will always be lost or converted into a less useful form during a thermodynamic process. However, engineers strive to design cycles with high efficiency to minimize energy losses.