Thermo reversible heat engines physics question

In summary, the two reversible heat engines in series have equal efficiencies and operate between a source at 527°C and a sink at 17°C. The first engine rejects 400kJ to the second. Using the equations for efficiency, work, and heat, it can be calculated that the temperature at which heat is supplied to the second engine is 208.7°C. The total heat taken from the source is 664.5kJ, and the work done by each engine is 264.5kJ and 159.2kJ respectively.
mcewendavid
I am having trouble with this question...It is from "applied thermodynamics for engineering technologists" by Eastop (Q5.2 if anyone has it)...

The Question:
Two reversible heat engines operate in series between a source at 527°C and a sink at 17°C. If the engines have equal efficiencies and the first rejects 400kJ to the second, calculate:
(i) the temp at which heat is supplied to the 2nd engine ALL DONE :-) =208.7°C
(ii) The heat taken from the source
(iii) The work done by each engine

I have done part (i) and I know it's right but I have no idea what equations to use for the next 2 parts because heat and work are dependant on each other so I don't understand how I can find one without the other...

Thankyou in advance
Dave :-)

Engineering news on Phys.org
[tex]\eta_{rev}=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H}[/itex]

[tex]\eta_{actual}=\frac{W}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

[tex]Q_{in}=W+Q_{out}[/itex] (1st law)

[tex]\eta_{rev}=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H}=.319=\eta_{actual}=\frac{W}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

[tex]\frac{Q_{1_{in}}}{400}-.319=1[/itex]

Using the above formulas, I ended up with the work for each engine at 127.6kJ. Total heat from the source 527.6kJ. However, I took the mid resovoir temp to be 272 deg C, the average of the high and low. Can you tell me how you got 208.7?

[tex]\eta_{rev}=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H}[/itex]

[tex]\eta_{actual}=\frac{W}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

[tex]Q_{in}=W+Q_{out}[/itex] (1st law)

[tex]\eta_{rev}=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H}=.319=\eta_{actual}=\frac{W}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

[tex]Q_{in}=W+Q_{out}----->Q_{in}-W=400kJ --->1-.319=\frac{400}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

I MESSED my first response up. Using the above formulas, I ended up with the work for each engine at 187.4kJ. Total heat from the source 587.4kJ. However, I took the mid resovoir temp to be 272 deg C, the average of the high and low. Can you tell me how you got 208.7?

The answer in the book is 208.7 Deg C...but I got it using:-

[tex]\eta = 1-(T2/T1)[/tex]

1 - (T2/T3) = 1 - (T3/T1)

1 - (800/T3) = 1 - (T3/290) - Figures converted to Kelvin

232000 = T3[tex]^{}2[/tex]

T3 = 481.66K = 208.66 Deg C

Ohh...derrr. My bad (I guess I've been paying more attention to the latex than the math). One more time.

[tex]\eta_{rev}=1-\frac{T_L}{T_H}=1-\frac{481.7K}{800K}=.398=\eta_{actual}=\frac{W}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

[tex]Q_{in}=W+Q_{out}----->Q_{in}-W=400kJ --->1-.398=\frac{400kJ}{Q_{in}}[/itex]

[tex]Q_{Total Input}=664.5kJ[/itex]

[tex]W_{1}=664.5kJ-400kJ=264.5kJ[/itex]

[tex]W_{2}=400kJ*.398=159.2kJ[/itex]

Last edited:
omg you're a champion!

I totally didnt get the -W = 1 - 0.398 by using the T3 from part one
Now it just all fits together...it's great

Thankyou so much :-)

Related to Thermo reversible heat engines physics question

1. What is a thermo reversible heat engine?

A thermo reversible heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work. It operates by taking in heat from a high temperature reservoir, converting some of that heat into work, and then releasing the remaining heat into a low temperature reservoir.

2. How does a thermo reversible heat engine work?

A thermo reversible heat engine works by utilizing the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the Carnot cycle. It uses a working fluid, such as steam or gas, to transfer heat from a high temperature source to a low temperature sink. This heat transfer drives a piston or turbine, producing mechanical work.

3. What is the efficiency of a thermo reversible heat engine?

The efficiency of a thermo reversible heat engine is determined by the Carnot efficiency, which is equal to the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs divided by the temperature of the hot reservoir. This means that the efficiency increases as the temperature difference increases, and approaches 100% as the temperature difference approaches infinity.

4. What is the difference between a reversible and irreversible heat engine?

A reversible heat engine operates in a cycle, meaning that it can return to its original state after each cycle and has no net change in the system. An irreversible heat engine, on the other hand, does not operate in a cycle and has a net change in the system after each cycle. Reversible heat engines are more efficient, but they are also idealized and do not exist in reality.

5. How are thermo reversible heat engines used in real life?

Thermo reversible heat engines are used in a variety of applications, including power plants, refrigerators, and car engines. They are also used in industries that require heat transfer, such as chemical and manufacturing plants. In these applications, the heat engine is used to convert thermal energy into mechanical work, which is then used to power machines and equipment.