Theodore K's question at Yahoo Answers (Radius of convergence)

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius and interval of convergence for the given series using either the ratio test or root test. By applying the ratio test, it can be determined that the series has a radius of convergence of infinity.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How do i begin to solve for the Radius of convergence and Interval of this series? I know I should be using either the ratio test or root test for this problem :

(-1)^n * (x^(3n)) / ((2n)!) from n=0 to inf

Here is a link to the question:

Calculus Power Series/Radius of Convergence/Interval of Convergence Question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Theodore K,

The ratio test works well here $$\lim_{n\to +\infty}\left|\frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n}\right|=\lim_{n \to +\infty}\left|\frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{3n+3}}{(2n+2)!}\cdot\frac{(2n)!}{(-1)^nx^{3n}}\right|=\\\lim_{n\to +\infty}\left|\frac{x^{3}}{(2n+2)(2n+1)}\right|=0<1\; (\forall x\in\mathbb{R})$$ This implies that the radius of convergence is $R=+\infty$.

Related to Theodore K's question at Yahoo Answers (Radius of convergence)

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the interval of values for which a series will converge. It is represented by the letter R and can be thought of as the distance from the center of the series where the terms begin to approach zero.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem, which states that R = 1/L, where L is the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series.

What happens when the radius of convergence is infinite?

If the radius of convergence is infinite, it means that the power series will converge for all values of the variable. This is also known as a convergent power series or a regular power series.

What are some applications of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, complex analysis, and differential equations. It is also used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena and make predictions.

What is the relationship between the radius of convergence and the domain of convergence?

The domain of convergence is the set of values for which the series will converge, while the radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series where the terms begin to approach zero. The domain of convergence is always a subset of the interval of convergence, which is determined by the radius of convergence.