The Universe - books for youngsters (?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the awe-inspiring nature of alien galaxies and the search for books about them and the origins of Earth, as well as the philosophical question of whether Earth was created for us. It is suggested that "Bang! The Complete History of the Universe" by Linnot, May, and Moore is a good resource. Additionally, the conversation mentions the increasing search for exoplanets and the possibility of life elsewhere. Ultimately, the question of whether Earth was created for us remains a philosophical one.
KnockAr0und
I apologize if I in the middle of the pro discussions.

I just finished watching 2 TV shows (from the History channel I think).The Universe Spaceship Earth & Alien Galaxies.
A great sense of awe arose in me while I was watching 'Alien Galaxies'.

Now, I'm 17 1/2 yr old. Are there any good modern, updated books (with illustrations and visuals preferred. I'm a very visual guy.) about alien galaxies, and our galaxy? How everything started? maybe a little about Earth itself...how it started? I need insightful books!

and BTW, can Cosmologists say today that our Earth IS unique, and maybe the Galaxy was 'created' for us? or are those still dark philosophies for now?Thank you.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
"Bang! The Complete History of the Universe" by Linnot, May, Moore

KnockAr0und said:
and BTW, can Cosmologists say today that our Earth IS unique, and maybe the Galaxy was 'created' for us? or are those still dark philosophies for now?

I wouldn't say that our Earth is unique. The hunt for exoplanets (planets outside our solar system) is a ever increasing one. It is thought that about 10% (although this figure could be much higher) of stars similar to our sun have planets orbitting them, and so one would conjecture that some of these planets will be in the habitable zone, and thus there will probably be life elsewhere.

I think the question of "whether the Earth is created for us" is a philosophical question and not a scientfic one.

Related to The Universe - books for youngsters (?)

What is the Universe?

The Universe refers to all matter, energy, space, and time that exist in the vast expanse of the cosmos. It includes everything from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

How old is the Universe?

The current estimate for the age of the Universe is about 13.8 billion years. This is based on observations and data from the Big Bang theory, which is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the Universe.

What is the Big Bang?

The Big Bang is a scientific theory that explains the beginning of the Universe. It proposes that the Universe began as a single point of extremely dense and hot matter, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

Are there other universes?

There are several theories and hypotheses about the existence of other universes, also known as the multiverse. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to support the existence of other universes beyond our own.

How do we study the Universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the Universe, including telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft. They also use mathematical models, computer simulations, and data analysis to understand the vast and complex nature of the Universe.