The Paradox of u=v | Solve the Mystery

• I
  • Thread starter Gjmdp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the paradox of u=v is a mathematical conundrum that arises when trying to solve for the value of two variables, u and v, that are equal to each other. It is relevant to science as it challenges our current mathematical models and highlights the complexity of the natural world. Although it may seem unsolvable, there are ways to address it and use it to advance our understanding of scientific concepts. It can be observed in various fields of science and reminds us of the ever-evolving nature of scientific research.
Gjmdp
Let u, v be column vectors n x 1 and M a m x n matrix over a field K. If M*u= M*v, then (M^-1)*M*u=(M^-1)*M*v, thus, I*u=I*v. Hence u=v. But that shouldn't be the case. What is wrong in my reasoning?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no inverse matrix for ##M## in case ##n\neq m##. If ##n=m## and ##M## is regular and ##Mu=Mv## then ##u=v##.

fresh_42 said:
There is no inverse matrix for ##M## in case ##n\neq m##. If ##n=m## and ##M## is regular and ##Mu=Mv## then ##u=v##.
Thank you for your answer. How can you prove that?

Gjmdp said:
Your reasoning is correct if those assumptions are given.

fresh_42 said:
If ##n=m## and ##M## is regular and ##Mu=Mv## then ##u=v##.
I think more usual terms for regular are invertible or nonsingular.
Gjmdp said:
##Mu = Mv \Rightarrow Mu - Mv = 0 \Rightarrow M(u - v) = 0##
Assuming M is invertible, then ##M^{-1}M(u - v) = M^{-1}0 = 0##, or ##u - v = 0##

Related to The Paradox of u=v | Solve the Mystery

What is the Paradox of u=v?

The Paradox of u=v is a mathematical concept that states that if u=v, then v=u. This may seem like a simple and obvious statement, but it can lead to some confusing and contradictory conclusions when applied to certain equations and situations.

How is the Paradox of u=v relevant in science?

The Paradox of u=v is relevant in science because it highlights the importance of understanding and carefully considering the assumptions and logic behind mathematical equations and theories. It also challenges scientists to think critically and creatively when faced with seemingly contradictory information.

What are some examples of the Paradox of u=v in science?

One example of the Paradox of u=v in science is the equation for calculating the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. This equation can be rearranged to show that the distance traveled is equal to the speed of light multiplied by the time it takes to travel that distance, highlighting the paradoxical nature of the equation.

How can the Paradox of u=v be solved?

The Paradox of u=v can be solved by carefully examining the assumptions and logic behind the equations and theories involved. This may involve redefining terms, considering alternative explanations, or developing new mathematical frameworks to better explain the phenomenon.

What implications does the Paradox of u=v have for scientific research?

The Paradox of u=v highlights the importance of critical thinking and careful analysis in scientific research. It also encourages scientists to question and challenge established theories and assumptions, leading to new and innovative discoveries and advancements in the field.