The nature of wavefunctions collapse

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition in the Stern Gerlach experiment and whether the left/right distinction is made when the magnetic field is applied or when it is measured. It is mentioned that this is a matter of interpretation and some people believe the state becomes determinate at the moment of observation. The density matrix formalism covers both pure and mixed states, but the underlying reality is still up for interpretation. The conversation also delves into the idea that normal co-ordinate space-time may be emergent rather than fundamental.
Jilang
This post is a result of reading RKaster's links and I am wondering if there is some evidence that supports measurement being a two stage process. In the Stern Gerlach experiment the particles are in superposition until measured. But is the superposition ended once they enter the magnetic field?

If we have a particle prepared in a spin up direction and then seek to determine its direction in a left right direction what is occurring? Is the left/right distinction made when the magnetic field is applied or when it it finally measured? Is there an experiment that can distinguish between the two situations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jilang said:
If we have a particle prepared in a spin up direction and then seek to determine its direction in a left right direction what is occurring?
When you select a new orientation to measure the spin projection you are changing the frame of reference (the choice of z-axis, for instance). This rotation is a unitary transformation in Hilbert space that effectively converts an eigenstate in one basis (choice of z-axis) to a superposition in another (a different choice of z-axis)
Jilang said:
Is the left/right distinction made when the magnetic field is applied or when it it finally measured?
I think that is an unanswerable question without further assumptions concerning your interpretation of QM. IMO the best way to think of this is that the transition takes place the moment the magnetic field is applied, but which state results is not known (or knowable) until observed.

Likes Jilang
mikeyork said:
I think that is an unanswerable question without further assumptions concerning your interpretation of QM. IMO the best way to think of this is that the transition takes place the moment the magnetic field is applied, but which state results is not known (or knowable) until observed.
I came to this conclusion too, but why would it be dependent on interpretation?

Jilang said:
I came to this conclusion too, but why would it be dependent on interpretation?
Because some people think the state becomes determinate at the moment of observation ("collapse of the wave function").

I suppose that hangs on what is defined by the "state". Namely the one that is truly indeterminate and the the one that describes what we just don't know. Seems to me that we need two separate definitions (is this the pure and mixed states? ) Without both of them the theory is somewhat cloudy.

By "determinate" I intended an eigenstate of the observable spin projection operator.

Jilang said:
I suppose that hangs on what is defined by the "state". Namely the one that is truly indeterminate and the the one that describes what we just don't know. Seems to me that we need two separate definitions (is this the pure and mixed states? ) Without both of them the theory is somewhat cloudy.
There's only definition needed - the density matrix formalism covers both pure and mixed states. And in this context "somewhat cloudy" sounds like another way of saying "depends on your interpretation".

The only thing you have observed is the position where the particle landed on the screen, and the theory did a fine job of predicting the possible outcomes and their respective probabilities. Everything beyond that (Did the wave function collapse when the particle passed through the magnetic field? When the particle reached the screen? Did it collapse at all? Where was the particle between the the moment before it reached the screen?...) is interpretation.

Likes bhobba
That's an interesting viewpoint. So when the magnetic field splits the beams would you regard the particles as still in superposition?
Afterthought. Does the density matrix formulation distinguish between the pure and mixed states or not?

As far as a future observer is concerned, yes. But, IMO, the underlying reality is that the particle is in an eigenstate from the moment of application of the splitting field. But we are getting into an area where some moderator will soon intervene and start deleting posts.

That is interesting that you have such a concern, but I don't think it's a matter of interpretion. I was more wondering if there was a way to distinguish it either way,

Jilang said:
That is interesting that you have such a concern
It's because I am inclined to the view that normal co-ordinate space-time is emergent and not fundamental. (Spin projection is a spatial property. But spin itself is intrinsic.) Apparently that is considered too speculative here.
Jilang said:
but I don't think it's a matter of interpretion. I was more wondering if there was a way to distinguish it either way,
I don't know of any way.

Related to The nature of wavefunctions collapse

What is the nature of wavefunction collapse?

The nature of wavefunction collapse is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It refers to the sudden and unpredictable transition of a particle from a superposition of multiple states to a single definite state when it is observed or measured.

How does wavefunction collapse occur?

Wavefunction collapse occurs when a particle interacts with or is observed by an external system, such as a measurement device, causing its superposition of states to collapse into one single state. This is known as the "measurement problem" in quantum mechanics.

What causes wavefunction collapse?

The exact cause of wavefunction collapse is still a topic of debate and remains a mystery in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that it is due to the interaction between the particle and the measuring instrument, while others propose that it is a result of the observer's consciousness.

Can wavefunction collapse be reversed?

According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, wavefunction collapse is considered irreversible. Once a particle's state has collapsed, it cannot return to its original superposition of states. However, there are some theories, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, that suggest that wavefunction collapse is not truly irreversible.

How is wavefunction collapse related to the observer effect?

The observer effect is the phenomenon where the act of observing or measuring a particle affects its behavior. In the context of wavefunction collapse, the observer effect is closely related as it is the act of observation or measurement that causes the collapse of a particle's wavefunction into a single state.