The Maximum current in a transformer

In summary, the transformer equation I2/I1 = N1/N2 = V1/V2 can be manipulated to derive the equation Imax = (N2/N1)^2 * (Emax/R) in order to transform the load impedance from the secondary to the primary. The key is to use the fact that there is no energy lost in the transformer, which reveals the relationship between EI in the primary and secondary.
claybrow
I have attached the problem. This is a practice exam and the answer Imax = (N2/N1)^2 * (Emax/R) but I have no idea why. I have been trying to manipulate the transformer equation I2/I1 = N1/N2 = V1/V2 but to no avail. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 7.32.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 7.32.45 PM.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
claybrow said:
I have attached the problem. This is a practice exam and the answer Imax = (N2/N1)^2 * (Emax/R) but I have no idea why. I have been trying to manipulate the transformer equation I2/I1 = N1/N2 = V1/V2 but to no avail. Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

To derive the equation to transform the load impedance from the secondary to the primary, start with the two equations for how voltage and current are transformed going through the transformer:

I2 = ?? * I1

V2 = ?? * V1

And then take whatever ratios you need to in order to see how the secondary resistance transforms to the primary side (that it, what load resistance the primary voltage drive source sees, based on the turns ratio)...

Just to add to what Berkeman has said, use the clue that there is no energy lost in the transformer. What does that tell you about the product EI in the primary and secondary?

Related to The Maximum current in a transformer

1. What is the maximum current in a transformer and why is it important?

The maximum current in a transformer refers to the highest amount of electrical current that can flow through the transformer without causing damage. It is important to know the maximum current in a transformer in order to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the transformer, as exceeding the maximum current can lead to overheating and potential failure.

2. How is the maximum current in a transformer determined?

The maximum current in a transformer is determined by several factors, including the size and materials of the transformer, the type of cooling system used, and the load being applied. It is typically calculated using Ohm's law (I = V/R), where V is the voltage and R is the resistance of the transformer.

3. Can the maximum current in a transformer be increased?

The maximum current in a transformer is determined by its design and cannot be easily increased. However, some transformers have a built-in overload protection mechanism that allows for a temporary increase in current without damaging the transformer. Additionally, using a transformer with a higher voltage or a different cooling system may also increase the maximum current.

4. What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum current in a transformer?

Exceeding the maximum current in a transformer can lead to overheating and potential damage or failure of the transformer. It can also cause an increase in voltage, which can damage connected equipment. In extreme cases, exceeding the maximum current can result in a transformer fire or explosion.

5. How can the maximum current in a transformer be monitored?

The maximum current in a transformer can be monitored using an ammeter, which measures the amount of electrical current flowing through the transformer. This can be done manually by an operator or automatically through a built-in monitoring system. Regular monitoring and maintenance can help prevent exceeding the maximum current and ensure the safe and efficient operation of the transformer.