The max value of the fourth derivative

In summary, the program tries to calculate the fourth derivative of 2.718281828^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}} and find the max value, however it returns strange results when evaluated at 2. Evaluating the fifth derivative may help to solve this problem.
dpb613

Homework Statement

I am trying to write a program to calculate an integral using Simpson's Rule. My program also needs to calculate the error. In the formula for error I need The max value of the fourth derivative. The function is 2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] and the interval is from 0 to 2

Homework Equations

|E|[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{(b-a)^{5}}{180n^{4}}[/itex][max|f[itex]^{(4)}[/itex](x)|]

The Attempt at a Solution

The fourth derivative of 2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] is approximately
(x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+6x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3)*2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex]
When evaluated at 2 this gives 317.729... Since there is a lot of math involved I would appreciate if someone can review this especially since my program is returning strange results. Also, is there anything I can learn by evaluating the fifth derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
dpb613 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to write a program to calculate an integral using Simpson's Rule. My program also needs to calculate the error. In the formula for error I need The max value of the fourth derivative. The function is 2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] and the interval is from 0 to 2

Homework Equations

|E|[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{(b-a)^{5}}{180n^{4}}[/itex][max|f[itex]^{(4)}[/itex](x)|]

The Attempt at a Solution

The fourth derivative of 2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] is approximately
(x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+6x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3)*2.718281828[itex]^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/itex]
When evaluated at 2 this gives 317.729... Since there is a lot of math involved I would appreciate if someone can review this especially since my program is returning strange results. Also, is there anything I can learn by evaluating the fifth derivative?

It would be better to write your function exactly, as e(1/2)x2. The fourth derivative is e(1/2)x2(x4 + 6x2 + 3).

The first factor is always positive and is increasing, so can be ignored for the time being. What about y = x4 + 6x2 + 3? What does the graph of this function look like on the interval [0, 2]? Can you determine where its max. value is?

Mark44 said:
It would be better to write your function exactly, as e(1/2)x2. The fourth derivative is e(1/2)x2(x4 + 6x2 + 3).

The first factor is always positive and is increasing, so can be ignored for the time being. What about y = x4 + 6x2 + 3? What does the graph of this function look like on the interval [0, 2]? Can you determine where its max. value is?

It is certainly helpful to keep it in the form e(1/2)x2 and now I see that the max value of the fourth derivative is 43e2.
I am not sure why the first factor can be ignored, but for y = x4 + 6x2 + 3 I find a max value of 43 @ x=2.

So, which is it 43 or 43e2(317.729)?

Last edited:
dpb613 said:
It is certainly helpful to keep it in the form e(1/2)x2 and now I see that the max value of the fourth derivative is 43e2.
I am not sure why the first factor can be ignored
If you'll recall, I said "ignored for the time being."
dpb613 said:
, but for y = x4 + 6x2 + 3 I find a max value of 43 @ x=2.

So, which is it 43 or 43e2(317.729)?
For the max value of f(4)(x), use 43 * e2 ≈ 318.

The reasoning here is that e(1/2)x2 is an increasing function, so the maximum value on an interval is attained at the right endpoint. Presumably your graph of y = x4 + 6x2 + 3 showed that this function also is increasing. As that seems the case, the max value of f(4)(x) occurs when x = 2.

Mark44 said:
If you'll recall, I said "ignored for the time being."

For the max value of f(4)(x), use 43 * e2 ≈ 318.

The reasoning here is that e(1/2)x2 is an increasing function, so the maximum value on an interval is attained at the right endpoint. Presumably your graph of y = x4 + 6x2 + 3 showed that this function also is increasing. As that seems the case, the max value of f(4)(x) occurs when x = 2.

OK Now I understand. Thank You.

Related to The max value of the fourth derivative

1. What is the significance of the max value of the fourth derivative?

The max value of the fourth derivative is important in determining the curvature and concavity of a function. It can also provide information about the rate of change of the rate of change of a function.

2. How is the max value of the fourth derivative calculated?

The max value of the fourth derivative can be calculated by taking the derivative of a function four times and then finding the maximum value of the resulting function.

3. Can the max value of the fourth derivative be negative?

Yes, the max value of the fourth derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave down at that point.

4. What does a large max value of the fourth derivative indicate?

A large max value of the fourth derivative indicates a sharp change in the curvature of the function. This can be seen in functions like parabolas or other highly curved functions.

5. How can the max value of the fourth derivative be used in real-world applications?

The max value of the fourth derivative can be used in fields such as physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions. It can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of functions.