The Magnetic Force on an Iron Ring

In summary, the student is trying to simulate the scene in Lord of the Rings where the One Ring is dropped on a wooden plan and calculates the magnetic force. He assumes that the ring is magnetized and calculates the force based on the field gradient and the weight of the ring.
Arkthanon
I decided to simulate this scene in Lord of the Rings for a project in school with the purpose of calculating the "real" mass of the One Ring. I've done the experiments according to this principle sketch but I have some troubles with calculating the magnetic force that the copper coil is exercising on my 3,8 g iron ring. The area of the ring is 5,84 cm2 and I measured the strength of the magnetic field to be 33 mT in the position of the ring. How would you calculate the force FB? I'm really having a problem with this calculation and would very much appreciate an answer. Any simplifications and assumption are very welcome if that is needed. Please do also ask me for more information if that is needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculations of magnetic forces on ferromagnetic things are messy. You need the field gradient in addition to the field, unless you assume the ring was magnetized before. But your ring itself modifies the magnetic field...

Unrelated to the specific question: I don't see how this approach would estimate any mass of anything related to the movie.

mfb said:
Calculations of magnetic forces on ferromagnetic things are messy. You need the field gradient in addition to the field, unless you assume the ring was magnetized before. But your ring itself modifies the magnetic field...

Unrelated to the specific question: I don't see how this approach would estimate any mass of anything related to the movie.

With the field gradient, do you mean the inclination of the field? For I can assure you that the ring was stationed at the axis of the magnetic field. Would I get a result if I assumed that the ring was magnetized before? In that case, how would that calculation look like? I'm really desperate for some kind of results for a laboratory discussion...

As an answer for your question: My main idea was to vary the magnetic field until the ring that I was dropping on the wooden plan would behave like the ring in the video. I would then add FB to the gravitational force mg and then divide the sum by g (assuming that the gravitational acceleration is the same on Middle Earth). I know that this method would give a rough estimate, as it ignores elasticity. My mentor did at least approve the method...

mfb said:

I found this formula (source, page 284)
fm = m * χ0 * µ0 * H * grad(H)
m
and µ0 are already known.
χ0
is determined by
1a99b5b836fa998000c6a6e6be69ee6b.png
and
b2439bea586ed8603f756ff354de0bb3.png
(source)
H is determined by B/µ
Is there somehow possible to calculate grad(H) or at least simplify it by making some assumptions? I'm really in need for some results.

Last edited:
Arkthanon said:
With the field gradient, do you mean the inclination of the field?
No, the derivative of the field as function of position.
Arkthanon said:
Would I get a result if I assumed that the ring was magnetized before?
Then you don't need the field, just the field gradient.
Arkthanon said:
As an answer for your question: My main idea was to vary the magnetic field until the ring that I was dropping on the wooden plan would behave like the ring in the video. I would then add FB to the gravitational force mg and then divide the sum by g (assuming that the gravitational acceleration is the same on Middle Earth). I know that this method would give a rough estimate, as it ignores elasticity. My mentor did at least approve the method...
I don't see how that would work. What force would you need where, when?
Arkthanon said:
H is determined by B/µ
How do you find B at the position of the ring? If you can find B everywhere, finding grad(B) is easy. Both things are challenging theoretically, and might need some finite element analysis if you are interested in more than an order of magnitude estimate.

mfb said:
What force would you need where, when?
The idea is that the weight of the one ring (mRingg) would be simulated by the weight of the Ironring + the force of the magnetic field (mIronring + FB), according to the principle sketch.

mfb said:
How do you find B at the position of the ring?
I measured it with a Hall effect sensor.

I appreciate your help, but I've handed in the assignment now.

Arkthanon said:
The idea is that the weight of the one ring (mRingg) would be simulated by the weight of the Ironring + the force of the magnetic field (mIronring + FB), according to the principle sketch.
I don't see what there would be to simulate. The mass does not matter much if everything is proportional to it.
Also, the magnet will generate a force that varies a lot with distance.

Related to The Magnetic Force on an Iron Ring

1. What is the magnetic force on an iron ring?

The magnetic force on an iron ring is the force exerted on the ring due to its interaction with a magnetic field. This force is a result of the alignment of the magnetic domains within the iron, which causes the ring to become magnetized.

2. How is the magnetic force on an iron ring calculated?

The magnetic force on an iron ring can be calculated using the equation F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the ring, and L is the length of the ring. This equation is known as the Lorentz force law and describes the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic force on an iron ring?

The magnetic force on an iron ring is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the ring, and the length of the ring. Additionally, the magnetic properties of the iron, such as its permeability and magnetic domain alignment, can also impact the force.

4. Can the magnetic force on an iron ring be changed?

Yes, the magnetic force on an iron ring can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, the force can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or the current flowing through the ring.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the magnetic force on an iron ring?

Understanding the magnetic force on an iron ring is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering and materials science. It is used in the design of electrical motors and generators, as well as in the study of magnetic materials and their properties. Additionally, understanding this force can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic levitation and magnetic data storage.