The Horizon Problem: Explaining Universe Isotropy

• Thread starter alvallis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horizon
In summary: But inflation is still the reason why quantum scales were blown up to cosmological scales, because it causally links scales which are currently cosmological with quantum fluctuations.
alvallis
I have read that one of the problems with the big bang theory, which inflation solved/explained, is that although the universe seems to be isotonic, the different regions are so far apart from each other that they would have been unable to "talk" to each other, and so how is it that they "know" to behave the same way. I'm guessing that this means too far apart to have experienced the same thing at the same time. But I'm not sure. Can anyone shed any light (lol) on this problem?

Space news on Phys.org
It means that they are too far apart to have interacted via the exchange of light signals since the big bang. They are, in essence, not causally connected. How did such causally disconnected regions of the universe all end up having almost the exact same temperature? The idea is that such regions of the universe, while separated by such acausal distances today, were once in intimate contact just prior to inflation.

bapowell said:
It means that they are too far apart to have interacted via the exchange of light signals since the big bang. They are, in essence, not causally connected. How did such causally disconnected regions of the universe all end up having almost the exact same temperature? The idea is that such regions of the universe, while separated by such acausal distances today, were once in intimate contact just prior to inflation.
Well, during inflation. Inflation lasted long enough that the distance scales we observe were once Planck-length scales during inflation. What happened before inflation was therefore irrelevant, as inflation blew up the quantum foam of the vacuum to cosmological scales.

Chalnoth said:
nflation blew up the quantum foam of the vacuum to cosmological scales.

I think that it takes more than inflation to do this. I think that the scale factor has increased by a factor of ##10^{30}## or so since inflation ended. If this is the case, then distances that are cosmological now were subatomic at the end of inflation.

George Jones said:
I think that it takes more than inflation to do this. I think that the scale factor has increased by a factor of ##10^{30}## or so since inflation ended. If this is the case, then distances that are cosmological now were subatomic at the end of inflation.
Well, that's true. The entire current observable universe would have been about a millimeter across at the time inflation ended, if my calculations are correct.

But inflation is still the reason why quantum scales were blown up to cosmological scales, because it causally links scales which are currently cosmological with quantum fluctuations. If it weren't for this change in how the early universe expanded, then different parts of the universe would never have been in causal contact.

Related to The Horizon Problem: Explaining Universe Isotropy

What is the Horizon Problem?

The Horizon Problem is a puzzle in cosmology that challenges the understanding of the universe's isotropy, or uniformity, on a large scale. It refers to the observation that the temperature of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) is nearly the same in all directions of the universe, even though these regions are too far apart to have ever been in contact during the history of the universe.

How does the Horizon Problem relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Horizon Problem is closely tied to the Big Bang theory, which is the prevailing explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. According to the Big Bang theory, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding and cooling ever since. The Horizon Problem arises because the universe is much too large for information to have traveled between opposite sides in the time since the Big Bang. This raises the question of how the universe achieved such uniformity in temperature.

What are the proposed solutions to the Horizon Problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the Horizon Problem, including the theory of cosmic inflation, the idea of superluminal expansion, and the concept of cosmic topological defects. These theories attempt to explain how the universe could have reached a state of isotropy despite being too large for information to have traveled between opposite sides.

Why is the Horizon Problem important in cosmology?

The Horizon Problem is an important puzzle in cosmology because it challenges our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe. Solving this problem could provide valuable insights into the early stages of the universe and help us better understand the physics that govern it. It also has implications for our understanding of the universe's structure and the distribution of matter and energy.

What ongoing research is being done to address the Horizon Problem?

Scientists continue to study the Horizon Problem and explore potential solutions through theoretical models, observations, and experiments. This includes studying the CMB in greater detail, investigating the properties of dark energy and dark matter, and exploring alternative theories of the universe's origins. Ongoing research in this area has the potential to significantly advance our understanding of the universe and its evolution.