The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of The Book, a book that contains all the smallest proofs of mathematics arranged in lexical order, as conjectured by Paul Erdos. The participants have varying opinions on whether such a book exists, with some believing in its existence based on Erdos' criteria of elegance and beauty, while others argue that it may not be possible to lexically order all proofs. The conversation also touches on the concept of the "space of theorems" and the idea that God may have all the theorems listed in one book. Overall, the conversation delves into the complexities and limitations of organizing and categorizing mathematical proofs.
meteor
According to this paper,
http://arxiv.org/abs/math.GM/0108201
Paul Erdos (of Erdos number fame) conjectured the existence of The Book, a book that contains all the smallest proofs of mathematics arranged in lexical order. What are your thoughts on it, do you believe in the existence of such book?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
meteor said:
do you believe in the existence of such book?
I do actually. :blushing:

Proofs from The Book, by Aigner and Ziegler (students of Erdos).

Actually I don't think that Erdos said exactly that, though if you have an exact reference quoting him saying that I'll have to change my opnion. Size is not important in Erdos's opinion, it is elegance and beauty that counts, though he offered no formal definition of what constitutes a proof from the book, nor indeed a theorem that ought to have a proof in the book. Since it is relatively clear that "the space of all theorems" is not a set, with the naive definition of theorem and space, there is no hope of lexically ordering all proofs. Not even the axiom of choice makes any claims about ordering proper classes. Though I'm sure someone is about to shoot down that claim.

matt grime said:
Proofs from The Book, by Aigner and Ziegler (students of Erdos).

Actually I don't think that Erdos said exactly that, though if you have an exact reference quoting him saying that I'll have to change my opnion. Size is not important in Erdos's opinion, it is elegance and beauty that counts, though he offered no formal definition of what constitutes a proof from the book, nor indeed a theorem that ought to have a proof in the book

I don't think Erdos ever said anything about the length of a proof or theorem, it was the most perfect, elegant, beautiful, etc proofs/theorems that made it into the book. example: Gauss' proof that the sum of the 1st 100 integers is 5050 is from the book (or Book, if you're a Platonist). So is Erdos' proof of the Prime Number theorem, but the original proof by those two French guys isn't a Book proof.

I didn't know that the "space of theorems" isn't a set. Whatever it is, if we believe Erdos, God has them all listed together in 1 book and Erdos is probably reading it right now...

Well, accepting some large cardinal axioms we can easily create a "set" of theorems indexed by a proper class, eg one for each cardinal number, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Of course all this is just playing around, and a proper proof theorist may object to this deliberately "classic" consrtuction, however a significant part of modern maths (ie category theory) often ignores whether things are sets or not.

Related to The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture

1. What is "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture"?

"The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" is a mathematical conjecture proposed by renowned mathematician Paul Erdos in the 1940s. It states that there exists a book, or a collection of papers, that contains all of the significant mathematical results and proofs that have been discovered or will be discovered in the future.

2. Has "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" been proven?

No, "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" has not been proven. It remains an open conjecture in the field of mathematics and has yet to be either proven or disproven.

3. What is the significance of "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture"?

"The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" represents the idea of a comprehensive and unified theory of mathematics. It also reflects Erdos's belief in the interconnectedness of mathematical concepts and his desire for a complete understanding of mathematics.

4. Are there any efforts being made to prove "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture"?

Yes, there have been numerous attempts to prove "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" over the years. However, due to its complexity and scope, it remains unsolved. Many mathematicians continue to work on this conjecture in hopes of one day proving it.

5. What would be the implications if "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" is proven?

If "The Existence of The Book: Paul Erdos's Conjecture" is proven, it would have significant implications for the field of mathematics. It would provide a unified and complete understanding of mathematics, and it would also have practical applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography. Additionally, it would solidify Paul Erdos's legacy as one of the greatest mathematicians of all time.