The existence of like factors in num/denom if in indeterminate form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite limits in calculus and the rule for finding vertical asymptotes. It also looks at the idea of indeterminate form and whether it implies the existence of factorable features in both the numerator and denominator. While this may be true in some cases, there are also functions that tend to indeterminate form without having this factorable feature. One example is \frac{sinx}{x}, which tends to 0/0 at x=0 but has a limit of 1.
Daniel Y.
So I'm studying infinite limits in my calculus text (seemed close enough to good old arithematic to put in general math, though), and the following rule is mentioned:

Given two functions f(x) and g(x) defined for all real numbers, when given the quotient [tex]f(x)/g(x)[/tex] where f(c) is not 0 and g(c) is 0, there is a vertical asymptote at c. But for[tex]f(c)/g(c)[/tex] where f(c) = 0 and g(c) = 0 it is not guarenteed that there is a vertical asymptote at c.

Now obviously the crappy off-the-top-of-my-head definition isn't the perfect one given in the book, but I'm sure if you're able to help you know the one I'm talking about. Now here's the thing:

Every time I've done an exercise that was in indeterminate form for a value c and found analytically for a value of x that isn't defined, I've found that the numerator and denominator have the same factor that can be canceled out. Consider the following:

[tex]f(x) = (x^2 -1)/(x-1)[/tex], when you 'input' f(1) you get 0/0, indeterminate form. But you can factor the equation to [tex] (x+1)(x-1)/(x-1) [/tex], cancel out the x-1, and see that f(1) is really 2 (or, at least, a function agreeing at every point except x = 1 is really 2).

This has been my experience with all exercises involving indeterminate form. So my question(s) becomes: if [tex]f(c)/g(c) = 0/0[/tex], then does this imply the existence of like factors in both the numerator and denominator that can be factored out and canceled out? If so how is this proven? Even a simple why would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It does not imply that. [tex]|x|/x[/tex] tends to the indeterminate 0/0 as x -> 0, but its limit does not exist.

Also, more broadly, not all functions have easily-expressible form.

CRGreathouse said:
It does not imply that. [tex]|x|/x[/tex] tends to the indeterminate 0/0 as x -> 0, but its limit does not exist.

Also, more broadly, not all functions have easily-expressible form.

Could you give me an example of a function which tends to indeterminate form for some c, and has a limit like in my example, but doesn't have the factorable feature I mentioned in the OP? Thanks for the elucidation CR, but I need my hunch proven wrong with those conditions or it'll still be nagging at me (I can't think of any examples where it doesn't work, myself). Thanks.

Daniel Y. said:
Could you give me an example of a function which tends to indeterminate form for some c, and has a limit like in my example, but doesn't have the factorable feature I mentioned in the OP? Thanks for the elucidation CR, but I need my hunch proven wrong with those conditions or it'll still be nagging at me (I can't think of any examples where it doesn't work, myself). Thanks.

[tex]\frac{sinx}{x}[/tex]

if you put x=0 you'll get 0/0 but the limit is actually 1.

Related to The existence of like factors in num/denom if in indeterminate form?

1. What is an indeterminate form in mathematics?

An indeterminate form in mathematics refers to an expression that cannot be evaluated to a single numerical value, as it contains one or more variables that can take on multiple values. This is often seen in limits or fractions with variables in the numerator and denominator.

2. What are like factors in a fraction?

Like factors in a fraction refer to common numerical factors that appear in both the numerator and denominator. These factors can be cancelled out to simplify the fraction and make it easier to evaluate.

3. How can we determine the existence of like factors in an indeterminate form?

The existence of like factors in an indeterminate form can be determined by factoring both the numerator and denominator and looking for common factors. If there are common factors that can be cancelled out, the expression is not in an indeterminate form.

4. Why is it important to identify like factors in an indeterminate form?

Identifying like factors in an indeterminate form is important because it allows us to simplify the expression and potentially make it easier to evaluate. This can also help us to find the limit of the expression, which is often the goal when dealing with indeterminate forms.

5. Can like factors always be cancelled out in an indeterminate form?

No, like factors cannot always be cancelled out in an indeterminate form. If the common factors contain variables, they cannot be cancelled out as their values are unknown. In these cases, further techniques, such as L'Hospital's rule, may be needed to evaluate the expression.