The electric field due to a point charge

In summary, you need to solve for L in terms of x and x+L. Then once you do that, you can simplify the equation.
Jay9313
http://www.monmsci.net/~fasano/phys2/Chap22_10.pdf
The question is on this PDF File. It's 22.8. I get the logic of it, the electric fields will be 0 only when they both have the same magnitude. The math is shown below the problem, but i don't understand it. Could someone solve this and show me how to do this step by step?

(You can see I'm not cheating, because if I was, I would just copy the answer out of that page. I want to understand it and do well in this class.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The way things work here is that you give it a shot and we provide hints and help.

Are you familiar with the field from a single point charge?

Yeah, It's E=((k)(Q))/r^2

Welcome to PF!

Hi Jay9313! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Which bit do you not understand?

Do you understand (ignoring the constants) 5q/x2 = 2q/(L-x)2 ?

The way I was setting this problem up is
(2)/((4 Pi Episilon zero)(x^2)) = (5)/((4 Pi Epsilon zero)(x+L)^2)
Then I would solve, and I used the quadratic formula. I got
(-10 +_ 6.3L)/6

I have no clue how to solve for L, and I don't even know if my math is right

Jay9313 said:
Yeah, It's E=((k)(Q))/r^2
Good.

So, at point (x,0), how would you express the field from each charge? What's the distance to each in terms of the givens?

I ignored the constants, that was easy. I got to the point where I got a quadratic. 3x^2 + 10xL + 5L^2

Is the quadratic right? How do you solve for a quadratic with two variables? =(

Doc Al said:
Good.

So, at point (x,0), how would you express the field from each charge? What's the distance to each in terms of the givens?

Well the fields would be equal to each other. The distance would be (x+L)^2 right?

Jay9313 said:
How do you solve for a quadratic with two variables? =(
What two variables? L is a constant. You'll express your answer in terms of L.

Doc Al said:
What two variables? L is a constant. You'll express your answer in terms of L.

I got (-10L +_ 6.3L)/6 = 0
How would you solve that? Can you even solve it?

Jay9313 said:
Well the fields would be equal to each other. The distance would be (x+L)^2 right?
x is the distance from the point to the origin, where q1 is. So what's the distance to q1?

L is the distance between the charges, so what's the distance to q2?

Doc Al said:
x is the distance from the point to the origin, where q1 is. So what's the distance to q1?

L is the distance between the charges, so what's the distance to q2?

Oh! Is is L and x + L?

Jay9313 said:
Oh! Is is L and x + L?
Not quite. The distance to q1 is x. Is the distance to q2 shorter or longer?

Oh ok, it's x and x + L , but since it is a function that is squared, it would have to be x-L. So you get (5)/((4 Pi Epsilon zero)(X^2) and you get (2)/(( 4 Pi Epsilon zero)(X-L)^2) right? =D

Then once you cancel terms, you get
5x^2-10xL+5L^2= 2r^2
You then solve the above equation using the quadratic formula, and you get
(10L+2LSqrt(10))/6
The above equation can be simplified by first reducing the 6..
(5L+LSqrt(10))/3)
You can then pull that 3 out to make it look nicer.
(1/3)(5L+LSqrt(10))
Then you can factor out an L
(1/3)(L)(5+Sqrt(10))
And it's not plus or minus Sqrt(10) because it's length, and you can't have a negative length. Am I right? =D

Thank you so much =D I sat down for lunch, and I was waiting for the food, and I was just thinking about it non stop. Then it slowly started to fit together. =D

Related to The electric field due to a point charge

What is the electric field due to a point charge?

The electric field due to a point charge is a measure of the force exerted on a charge at a given point in space. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

How is the electric field due to a point charge calculated?

The electric field due to a point charge can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

What is the direction of the electric field due to a point charge?

The direction of the electric field due to a point charge is always away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge. It is a radial field, meaning it points directly away or towards the point charge.

How does the electric field due to a point charge depend on distance?

The electric field due to a point charge decreases with distance according to the inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the point charge increases, the electric field strength decreases at a rate proportional to the square of the distance.

What are some real-world applications of the electric field due to a point charge?

The electric field due to a point charge has many real-world applications, including the operation of electronic devices, the attraction and repulsion of particles in physics experiments, and the generation of electricity in power plants using charged particles. It is also essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of lightning and other electrical phenomena in the atmosphere.