The directions of normal and shear stress

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of normal and shear stress in relation to different planes labeled A, B, C, and D. The speaker suggests that planes A and C have the same shear stress pointing outwards, while planes B and D have the same shear stress pointing towards the corner at a 135-degree angle. They also mention using Newton's second law and drawing a free body diagram to determine the correct answer. The conversation ends with the understanding that image (e) is a blank for the listener to draw the correct diagram themselves.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2018-04-06 上午8.43.51.png

Homework Equations

direction of normal and shear stress

The Attempt at a Solution

I view it like A and C are the same; B and D are the same...
as both shear stress of A and C points outwards and shear stress point to the corner with 135 deg
vice versa for B and D

what should I notice from this problem and what theorem can I apply to it so that I can distinguish the correct answer?
thank you

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2018-04-06 上午8.43.51.png
    螢幕快照 2018-04-06 上午8.43.51.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,172
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a choice "e" as stated in the problem, but which doesn't show on your image?

E is to draw the correct answer by yourself

yecko said:
But the problem doesn't say that. Why do you say that?

yecko said:
what theorem can I apply to it so that I can distinguish the correct answer?
Newton’s second law.

yecko said:
Oh I think I understand. Image (e) is just a blank that asks you to draw in the correct diagram. Well since (a), (b), (c), and (d) may be incorrect, it is best to get out your pencil and paper and start drawing up (e). Draw free body diagrams of either plane A or B, using Newton's laws, and utilize your knowledge of vectors and vector components acting normal and perpendicular to the inclined section.

Related to The directions of normal and shear stress

What is normal stress?

Normal stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular to the surface of a material. It is also known as tensile stress and can cause a material to stretch or elongate.

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied parallel to the surface of a material. It is also known as tangential stress and can cause a material to deform or break.

What is the difference between normal and shear stress?

The main difference between normal and shear stress is the direction of the applied force. Normal stress is perpendicular to the surface, while shear stress is parallel to the surface. Normal stress causes a material to stretch or compress, while shear stress causes a material to deform or break.

How do you calculate normal stress?

Normal stress can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

How does shear stress affect materials?

Shear stress can cause a material to deform or break, depending on the amount and duration of the force applied. In some cases, it can cause a material to change shape permanently, leading to potential structural failure. The strength of a material to withstand shear stress is an important consideration in engineering and design.