Terminal Voltage in Series Circuits: Understanding Ohm's Law

In summary, the terminal voltage of a battery or power supply in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage drops across circuit components. This can be compared to a water cycle, where resistors act as waterwheels converting voltage into heat and batteries act as water towers with a limited supply of electrons. The answer to the specific question posed is 9 V. It's the sum of the voltages in the circuit.
biglake
In my physics lab we were asked a question for advanced studying. I read the chapter that it was supposed to be in, but I couldn't figure it out.

Q: For a series circuit, what is the terminal voltage of a batter or power supply equal to in terms of the potential differences or voltage drops across circuit components?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's equal to the sum of the voltage drops.

To rephrase the question: a battery of unknown voltage is connected to a series circuit containing three resistors. If the voltage drops across the resistors are 5 V, 2.5 V, and 1.5 V, what must the voltage of the battery be?

The answer is 9 V.

You can *kinda* create an anology between voltage for electric circuits and elevation for a water cycle: imagine the electrons in the circuit running 'downhill' through the various components. Resistors are like waterwheels mounted on vertical drops; they convert some of the 'height' (voltage) into heat energy.

Batteries are like water towers; they come with one end full of electrons, and when all of those electrons have run 'down' to the other end, the battery is no good anymore. A DC transformer that you plug into the wall doesn't drain like a battery does because it's more of a vertical water pump than a tower. Of course, you can use a pump to refill a tower; that's a rechargable battery.

Long explanation for a short answer. It's the sum of the voltages in the circuit.

P

Attachments

• resistor.jpg
    resistor.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 726
THanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I was just making the question harder than it actually was.

Related to Terminal Voltage in Series Circuits: Understanding Ohm's Law

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. How is a series circuit defined?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current passing through each component in the circuit.

4. How does Ohm's Law apply to a series circuit?

In a series circuit, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the voltage, current, or resistance of any component in the circuit, as long as the values of the other two are known.

5. What are some examples of series circuits in everyday life?

Some common examples of series circuits include holiday lights, flashlights, and stringed instruments, where the components are connected in a single loop and the same current flows through each component.