Tensor Calculus (Einstein notation)

In summary: So, in summary, Einstein notation is meant to be done for the same term, here you have two terms. There is no implicit summation in ##\partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##. To sum over indices, you must explicitly use the summation symbol and the universal quantifier. The sum over indices can then be written as:$$\sum_{\mu = 0}^{3} \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$
paperplane
TL;DR Summary
How to sum over indices when they aren't being contracted?
Hello,

I realize this might sound dumb, but I'm having such a hard time understanding Einstein notation. For something like ∂uFv - ∂vFu, why is this not necessarily 0 for tensor Fu? Since all these indices are running through the same values 0,1,2,3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein notation for summation is meant to be done for the same term, here you have two terms. There is no implicit summation in ##\partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##.

Let's call it ##G_{\mu \nu}## i.e. ##G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##. We have
## G_{00} = \partial_0 F_0 - \partial_0 F_0 = 0##
## G_{10} = \partial_1 F_0 - \partial_0 F_1 = - G_{01}##
## G_{11} = \partial_1 F_1 - \partial_1 F_1 = 0 = G_{22} = G_{33}##
## G_{23} = \partial_2 F_3 - \partial_3 F_2 = - G_{32}##
and so on.

Now, lets assume I contract ##G_{\mu \nu}## with ##\phi^\mu##, we have due to Einstein summation convention
##\phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu} = \phi^0G_{0 \nu} + \phi^1G_{1\nu} + \phi^2G_{2 \nu} + \phi^3G_{3 \nu}##

Let's define ##\psi_\nu = \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}##.
We have
##\psi_0 = \phi^\mu G_{\mu 0} = \phi^0G_{0 0} + \phi^1G_{10} + \phi^2G_{20} + \phi^3G_{30} =\phi^1G_{10} + \phi^2G_{20} + \phi^3G_{30} ##
##\psi_1 = \phi^\mu G_{\mu 1} = \phi^0G_{0 1} + \phi^1G_{11} + \phi^2G_{21} + \phi^3G_{31} =\phi^0G_{0 1} + \phi^2G_{21} + \phi^3G_{31}##
and so on

Likes nasu, topsquark and PeroK
Ah I understand now, thank you!

paperplane said:
Ah I understand now, thank you!
I updated my reply above with some more examples.

Likes topsquark and paperplane
paperplane said:
TL;DR Summary: How to sum over indices when they aren't being contracted?

Hello,

I realize this might sound dumb, but I'm having such a hard time understanding Einstein notation. For something like ∂uFv - ∂vFu, why is this not necessarily 0 for tensor Fu? Since all these indices are running through the same values 0,1,2,3?
Einstein notation omits two standard elements of mathematical notation: the summation symbol (##\sum##) and the universal quantifier (##\forall##). In the above examples we have:
$$G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu$$In full notation this would be:
$$\forall \mu, \nu: G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu$$Note that this is actually ##16## equations! (One for every combination of ##\mu = 0, 1,2,3## and ##\nu = 0, 1,2,3##.) And:
$$\psi_\nu = \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$In full notation this would be:
$$\forall \nu: \psi_\nu = \sum_{\mu = 0}^{3} \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$And that is four equations.

Likes malawi_glenn and Ibix