Tension in one of two ropes of a hung sign

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the tension in a string supporting a sign from a professor's office door. The person provides their attempted solution and asks for clarification on their answer. The expert then guides them through the proper equations and explains the significance of the negative sign in the final equation.
JLPG

Homework Statement

A sign hangs precariously from your prof's office door. Calculate the magnitude of the tension in string 1, if theta1 = 35.67°, theta2 = 62.43°, and the mass of the sign is 3.3 kg.
1262751-1315-setDynamics_no_friction-prob8--prob29.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ft1=cos35.67t1 + cos117.57t2=0
Fxt1=0.57t2

Fyt2=sin35.67(0.5t2)+sin117.57t2=-32.34(from gravity and mass of sigh)
in the end it gave me t2= 27.5 and t1= 15.675
... which was wrong
What do I need to do

Physics news on Phys.org
JLPG said:
Cos35.67t1 + cos117.57t2=0
Fxt1=0.57t2

Fyt2=sin35.67(0.5t2)+sin117.57t2=-32.34(from gravity and mass of sigh)
Don't know if you just had a typo there, but the .5 should be .57 . Should you have a negative sign on the right side of the last equation (in front of 32.34)?

thank-you! yes .57 was a typo, but I think I forgot the (-) sign in front of 32.34.

Good. But just to make sure, there should not be a negative sign in front of the 32.34 on the right hand side of the equation.

I calculated the answer with the negative sign, but then took it out in the final answer because it was the magnitude they were looking for. Does it give the same answer because I ended up with the right answer anyway?

A good way to think about it is that the sum of the vertical components of all of the forces must equal zero (for equillibrium). So, you have an equation with the sum of vertical components of all forces on the left side and zero on the right. If you take upward as the positive vertical direction, then the vertical component of weight will be negative. Then, if you take this term over to the other side of the equation, it will be positive there.

Last edited:
Symbolically: [itex]\sum t_1y + t_2y + W_y = 0[/itex]
Since ##W_y = -mg##,
[itex]\sum t_1y + t_2y -mg = 0[/itex] or [itex]\sum t_1y + t_2y = mg[/itex]

(no negative sign in front of mg on the right)

Ohh, ok I get it! Thank-youu!

Related to Tension in one of two ropes of a hung sign

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled in opposite directions by two other objects.

How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and adding any additional forces acting on the object.

Why is tension important in a hung sign?

Tension is important in a hung sign because it determines how tightly the sign is held in place and how much weight it can support. If the tension is too low, the sign may sag or fall, while if the tension is too high, it may cause damage to the sign or its support structure.

How does the tension in one rope affect the tension in the other rope?

The tension in one rope can affect the tension in the other rope if they are connected to the same object. As one rope is pulled tighter, it may increase the tension in the other rope if they are connected at a fixed point. This is known as a tension imbalance.

What are some factors that can affect tension in a hung sign?

Factors that can affect tension in a hung sign include the weight and mass of the sign, the strength and material of the ropes, the angle at which the ropes are hung, and any external forces such as wind or vibrations.