Temporal components in metric tensors

In summary, The two metric tensors for spherically curved space time are as follows: -1 and temporal row/column.
space-time
As you may know, the metric tensor for 3D spherical coordinates is as follows:

g11= 1
g22= r2
g33= r2sin2(θ)

Now, the Minkowski metric tensor for spherical coordinates is this:
g00= -1
g11= 1
g22= r2
g33= r2sin2(θ)

In both of these metric tensors, all other elements are 0.

Now, the only obvious difference between the two metric tensors is the fact that the Minkowski version has a -1 in it and a temporal row and column. The first metric tensor represents just flat space, while the second one represents flat space time.

Now, in my recent studies of curvature, I was wondering if you could just add a -1 along with a temporal row and column to the metric tensor of the 3-sphere in order to make it represent a spherically curved 4 dimensional space time (just as adding a -1 and a temporal row/column to the 3D spherical coordinates metric tensor creates a 4D metric tensor that represents flat space-time).

Here is what I mean:

This is the metric tensor for the 3-sphere:

g11=r2sin2(ø)sin2(ψ)
g22=r2sin2(ψ)
g33=r2

The rest of the elements are 0.

As for my coordinate labels:

x1
x2
x3

And now, here is what I mean when I mention "adding a -1 and a temporal row/column to the metric tensor of the 3-sphere":

g00= -1
g11=r2sin2(ø)sin2(ψ)
g22=r2sin2(ψ)
g33=r2

The rest of the elements are 0.

As you can see here, I just added a -1 to the 3-sphere metric tensor just as the Minkowski metric tensor for spherical coordinates adds a -1 to the metric tensor of 3D spherical coordinates.

Will adding this -1 to the 3-sphere's metric tensor make this metric represent spherically curved space time as a result?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not a good idea to do physics by analogy. Have you applied the definition of curvature to the resulting metric to see if it represents a curved spacetime?

Only the Einstein equations can tell you that :P

Related to Temporal components in metric tensors

1. What are temporal components in metric tensors?

Temporal components in metric tensors refer to the components of the tensor that represent the time dimension in a particular coordinate system. They are used to measure time intervals and describe the geometry of spacetime.

2. How are temporal components represented in metric tensors?

Temporal components are usually represented by a diagonal element in the metric tensor, denoted as g00. This element represents the time interval between two events in a particular coordinate system.

3. What is the significance of temporal components in metric tensors?

Temporal components play a crucial role in the theory of relativity, as they describe the curvature of spacetime and the relationship between space and time. They also allow for the calculation of proper time, which is the time experienced by an observer in a particular reference frame.

4. How do temporal components affect the measurement of distances in spacetime?

Temporal components, along with the other components of the metric tensor, determine the spacetime interval between two events. This interval is used to measure distances in spacetime and is crucial in understanding the curvature and geometry of the universe.

5. Can temporal components change in different reference frames?

Yes, temporal components can change in different reference frames. This is known as time dilation and is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. The measurement of time intervals can vary depending on the relative motion of observers in different reference frames.