Teaching Physics to Younger Ages

In summary, the teacher is looking for ideas on activities to do with kids during physics class. Some ideas include making silly putty, making paper clip motors, and watching Mythbusters.
Mindscrape
Hey all. I am teaching younger kids, ages 7-9, about physics this summer, and I was wondering if anyone here is a teacher in elementary school or middle school, or has advice on cool activities to do. As far as the physics goes, I don't think it will be a problem since so much of physics can have a mystical aspect, but I would welcome cool ideas and experiments.

Mostly what I am wondering about is if there is any tricks or tips to keep everyones attention occupied. During breaks, are there any good mind riddles appropriate for this age that I could ask? What about other activities to do while resting from physics, since not even the most dedicated can take four hours of physics without breaks?

Science news on Phys.org
You could demonstrate how two things of different masses fall at the same rate. You could even get a vacuum and show how even a feather falls at the same rate as a lead ball. While you have the vacuum out, you can also amuse them by placing a metal ringer inside of it--they'll see it ringing, but it will make no noise (well, it will a little bit :P).

You could have them make paper airplanes (I'm sure you could insert some low-level physics talk while they're making them) as an activity.

Hope this helps! And GOOD LUCK!

Gyroscopes are interesting, although the physics behind precession related demos may go beyond what a 7 to 9 year old would understand.

http://www.gyroscopes.org/1974lecture.asp

The kids could also make paper helicopters. Cut a thin strip of paper in the middle lenthwise about 1/2 the length of the paper. Attach a paper clip to the other end. Throw the paper clip helicopter and it will spin on the way down.

Most of the really impressive stuff would probably be too dangerous for 7 to 9 year olds (like sodium in water, electrical stuff, ...)

video games? like racing?

This might be helpful.
http://www.fatlion.com/science/sciencelinks.html"
I always read the Beakman page in the colour comics right up until I quit buying the paper a couple of years ago. There are all kinds of neat kid stuff that you can do, such as making generic 'Silly Putty' and little paper-clip motors. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
get some inspiration from mythbusters. they do all sorts of things that kids love. my bro T loves 'em(he is 12). for eg. ancient death ray, levitation machine, ping pong boat rescue, bulletproof water, steam cannon. they are all based on basic physics. what's more, you can also get it that how to make it look funny, kids ll love 'em

check out this link: http://mythbustersresults.com/results/all.html

Related to Teaching Physics to Younger Ages

1. How do I make physics fun for young students?

One way to make physics fun for younger students is to use hands-on experiments and demonstrations that allow them to see the concepts in action. You can also incorporate games and activities that involve physics principles, such as building a simple machine or creating a paper airplane.

2. How can I explain complex physics concepts to younger students?

Start by breaking down the concepts into smaller, more digestible pieces. Use familiar examples and analogies to help them understand the abstract concepts. Use visual aids, such as diagrams or videos, to supplement your explanations.

3. What age is appropriate to start teaching physics?

Children as young as five or six years old can begin to understand basic physics concepts. However, the level of complexity should increase as students get older. It is important to adapt your teaching methods to the age and development level of your students.

4. How can I encourage students to be interested in physics?

Show enthusiasm and passion for the subject yourself, and make connections to real-world applications. Engage students in discussions and allow them to ask questions and explore their own curiosity. Celebrate their successes and encourage their efforts.

5. What resources are available for teaching physics to younger ages?

There are many resources available, including textbooks, online lesson plans, and educational videos. You can also incorporate everyday materials, such as toys and household objects, to demonstrate physics concepts. Additionally, consider reaching out to other educators or organizations for support and ideas.