Teacher accused of name-calling

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: I'm sorry for giggling at this story, but it does bring up the issue of teachers using insults and profanity towards their students. It seems that this behavior is not uncommon, as evidenced by the examples shared in the conversation. Some people argue that this kind of behavior is acceptable as long as it is used in an educational manner, while others believe it is completely unacceptable and can even be considered criminal. However, it is important for teachers to remember that their role is to educate and guide students, not to demean or humiliate them. Students deserve to be treated with respect and it is the responsibility of teachers to maintain a professional and appropriate demeanor at all times. In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of teachers using insults and profanity towards
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Shame on me for giggling at this. :redface:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/kettering-teacher-suspended-for-allegedly-calling-students-names-1221364.html

A letter sent to Togliatti on July 8 from Jim Justice, Kettering City Schools’ director of human resource services, contained specific examples of the some of the comments the district reportedly received from students.

“You demeaned and embarrassed certain students,” Justice wrote, by allegedly calling them “idiots,” “airheads,” and “freaking morons;” telling students to “shut up” and “repeatedly” using profanity directed at students.

“You told a student that nothing smart could ever come out of her mouth, and that nobody likes her anyway,” the letter stated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Sounds like someone gave her a truth potion.

Likes gracy
When I was in high school, teachers could use mild insults as long as they were used in an educational manner.

My most frustrating experience with this came in Spanish class. If you were foolish enough to just blow off your reading assignment, you could be sure the Spanish teacher was going to insult you in Spanish or tell some joke about you, using some of the words that you would have learned had you done the reading. You knew you were being insulted because the class was laughing, but you didn't even know why because you didn't learn the key words used in the punch line.

In high school, our football coach, beyond the personal insults, would often threaten to p*ss on a rag and make us suck it dry.

When I started college I was a die-hard Republican. My first political science prof was a raging liberal [in fact he had ridden on the bus with MLK during his famous bus tour]. He and I were constantly getting into heated debates during the lectures, which often ended with him saying that all Republicans are sexually repressed. :smile: He really hated that I was his best student. :biggrin:

When I was in second grade, my teacher got exasperated with a slow student, so she put her hands around his neck, lifted him up off the floor, and banged his head on the blackboard. She felt terrible about losing control in like that, especially in front of the class. I did my best to console her. The kid was slow, and probably had a learning deficit, so I could appreciate her exasperation.

Astronuc said:
The kid was slow, and probably had a learning deficit, so I could appreciate her exasperation.
What?

Her behaviour was criminal at the best of times. To lose it at someone who might have a learning deficit is ... (hm, what's worse than criminal) ... dark hearted.

Likes gracy
Our English teacher called us lackadaisical snerds. She was right.

That teacher is sure a big bozo-head!

Jimmy Snyder said:
Our English teacher called us lackadaisical snerds. She was right.

All my teachers called us names. Michael, Susan, Jeremy, Peter, Angela...oh, the humanity!

DaveC426913 said:
What?

Her behaviour was criminal at the best of times. To lose it at someone who might have a learning deficit is ... (hm, what's worse than criminal) ... dark hearted.
That was a long time ago. The kid was difficult and I doubt learning deficits were understood back then. He was problem in class, in addition to being a poor student. I could understand why the teacher got upset. She just lost it momentarily. She knew immediately what she did was wrong. And she was a really good teacher.

i think it's funny, too. i had a few weird teachers of my own. one smoked in class and told us stories about WWII and other personal antics. at least two crazy spinsters come to mind. and some of the ones that would speak quite frankly to their students probably played more of a mentor role than most people would realize.

"freaking morons"

:smile:

Once when returning exams back to the students, one of my math professors provided McDonald's applications to those who failed.

206PiruBlood said:
Once when returning exams back to the students, one of my math professors provided McDonald's applications to those who failed.

Ouch!

My hero!

Seriously though, withholding the truth about how dumb these kids are is a disservice to them. I think a blunt, honest appraisal, no matter how harsh it may seem is needed, because when they leave school and go out into the real world, they're going to find out too late that they should have tried harder. Enough with tucking our tails between our legs. We owe it to these kids to tell them they aren't cutting it.

Evo said:
Seriously though, withholding the truth about how dumb these kids are is a disservice to them. I think a blunt, honest appraisal, no matter how harsh it may seem is needed, because when they leave school and go out into the real world, they're going to find out too late that they should have tried harder. Enough with tucking our tails between our legs. We owe it to these kids to tell them they aren't cutting it.
There's a whole delicate psychology to this, though.

I think when a teacher loses it and starts hurling abusive names around they undercut their authority and reduce themselves to the emotional level of a peer of the student, and nothing is easier for a student to classify as "non-instructional" than the abuse of a peer.

Hold on, teachers making kids cry is okay? But telling the truth isn't?

Wow, that's really bad. Teachers aren't even allowed to call a student out in from of the class at my school. The tell them to go outside (the door), and talk with them there, to avoid public humiliation, I suppose.

I honestly think that's the best way to handle it. Kids need to know when they're no performing sufficiently (if they are capable of doing something about it), but I know nothing would piss me off more than insulting me in front of my friends.

I remember once in my civics class, the teacher yelled "OUTSIDE!" so loud that I jumped, even though I was looking at him, and could tell he was about to yell. He was yelling at a 5th year senior(aka a senior that failed their senior year) that was always really annoying, so I can understand. It was actually pretty funny.

Evo said:

There is a difference to telling a student that they are doing poorly and telling them that nothing good will ever come out of their mouth. You MUST use tact or you will just turn the situation worse by making the student think they are actually stupid and cannot be anything better. They are just kids after all.

In the Air Force we are taught that whenever you council someone under you, you always explain what they did wrong or why their performance is subpar, what is expected of them, and how to improve. If I bring an Airman in and just yell at him and tell him he is a pile of crap, what good has that done? Usually Not much other than make him feel worse. (I'm not talking about discipline or counciling because they broke a rule, but about their work performance and related issues)

Nowhere in this would I hide the truth.

Related to Teacher accused of name-calling

What happened in the situation with the teacher accused of name-calling?

According to the reports, a teacher was accused of calling a student derogatory names in the classroom.

What are the consequences for the teacher if these accusations are true?

If the accusations are proven to be true, the teacher could face disciplinary action from the school or even lose their job. They may also face legal consequences depending on the severity of the name-calling.

What steps are being taken to address this situation?

The school administration is conducting an investigation into the accusations and will take appropriate action based on the findings. The teacher may also be required to attend sensitivity training or other forms of professional development.

How can the school prevent similar incidents from happening in the future?

The school can implement policies and protocols for addressing and preventing bullying or discriminatory behavior among students and staff. They can also provide training and resources for teachers to create a more inclusive and respectful learning environment.

What resources are available for students who have been affected by this situation?

The school may offer counseling or support services for students who have experienced emotional distress as a result of the teacher's name-calling. Students can also reach out to trusted adults or organizations for assistance and support.