Synchronized Bosons and Entropy.

In summary, the conversation discusses how the tendency of bosons to take the same state does not violate the second law of thermodynamics and how this applies to phenomena such as Bose-Einstein condensation and the functioning of lasers. The concept of entropy and its relation to the number of available microstates is also brought up, as well as the role of quantum mechanics in determining the ground state of a system. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the "rules of entropy" and the possible connection between quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.
dydxforsn
How is it that the tendency for bosons to take the same state doesn't violate rules of entropy? I can understand why Bose-Einstein condensation wouldn't, because that's how the particles take a minimum energy state.

I know lasers work because the photons present encourage other photon involvement (excitation) because of this property of bosons. Is it that this ordered laser beam actually has an increased number of microstates? (that's my best guess) I'm only an undergraduate, so I'm assuming there's more "inner-workings" that I don't know of.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the second law, entropy rises monotonically only in isolated systems. The entropy of a BEC is very low, but to achieve it, you have to cool strongly, therefore heating the environment and increasing the entropy there. The same is true for the laser.

In general, the tendency of a system to go to its ground state can be viewed as a consequence of the second law. If you have an ensemble of atoms in a given excited state and the "empty" radiation field (wich corresponds to T=0), the entropy increases if the atoms emit photons which then occupy states of the radiation field. On the other hand, if you have an ensemble of atoms in the ground state and a thermal radiation field, the entropy increases, if the atoms absorb photons until they reach thermal equilibrium. (as you've mentioned, entropy corresponds to the number of available microstates for a given macrostate)

What the ground state of a given system is, has nothing to do with entropy but is determined by QM. So there's nothing special about the boson case.

Last edited:
"Rules of entropy"? I have never heard of such things, and I suspect that is what is causing you trouble. Why don't you tell us specifically what "rule of entropy" you think is being broken, and we can take it from there.

Thanks for the replys, but I still have some questions.

kith said:
According to the second law, entropy rises monotonically only in isolated systems. The entropy of a BEC is very low, but to achieve it, you have to cool strongly, therefore heating the environment and increasing the entropy there. The same is true for the laser.

Yes, I agree with that but I'm still not quite sure how it applies to the laser. (I don't doubt you I just don't know about the thermodynamics of a laser. Are atoms being heated to excite them?)

kith said:
In general, the tendency of a system to go to its ground state can be viewed as a consequence of the second law. If you have an ensemble of atoms in a given excited state and the "empty" radiation field (wich corresponds to T=0), the entropy increases if the atoms emit photons which then occupy states of the radiation field. On the other hand, if you have an ensemble of atoms in the ground state and a thermal radiation field, the entropy increases, if the atoms absorb photons until they reach thermal equilibrium. (as you've mentioned, entropy corresponds to the number of available microstates for a given macrostate)

That argument makes sense, except I think that the radiation field NOT being "empty" is what triggered laser activity which would be a tendency towards imbalance. This is my qualm.

kith said:
What the ground state of a given system is, has nothing to do with entropy but is determined by QM. So there's nothing special about the boson case.

See, I'm thinking that, that there is somehow (quantum mechanically) more microstates when the bosons accumulate in the same state than when they're not, which seems weird to me but possible. The only other explanation I can think of is like you said, there must be two systems and one's entropy must increase to account for a decrease in the entropy of the ensemble of laser atoms. I just don't think there should be any problem using the statistical mechanics idea of "entropy" in quantum processes.

Vanadium 50 said:
"Rules of entropy"? I have never heard of such things, and I suspect that is what is causing you trouble. Why don't you tell us specifically what "rule of entropy" you think is being broken, and we can take it from there.

Yeah, it may be. I'm operating under the idea that the microstates interpretation of entropy holds in quantum mechanics (systems tend towards the largest available number of microstates), as I've never heard of quantum going against statistical mechanical ideas of entropy, the subjects are frequently united when stat. mech. is used to explain blackbody radiation, etc.

Related to Synchronized Bosons and Entropy.

1. What are synchronized bosons?

Synchronized bosons refer to a group of particles, typically photons, that are in the same quantum state and exhibit coordinated behavior. This means that they have the same energy and are able to behave in a coordinated manner, resulting in a synchronized state.

2. How are synchronized bosons related to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. Synchronized bosons have low entropy because they are in a highly ordered state. As they become more desynchronized, their entropy increases.

3. What is the significance of synchronized bosons in physics?

Synchronized bosons have been studied extensively in the field of quantum optics and have been shown to have applications in areas such as quantum computing and communication. They also provide insight into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can synchronized bosons exhibit different types of synchronization?

Yes, synchronized bosons can exhibit different types of synchronization such as complete synchronization, where all the particles have the same phase, or partial synchronization, where some particles have the same phase while others are out of phase.

5. How are synchronized bosons experimentally observed?

Synchronized bosons can be observed through various experimental techniques such as measuring the coherence of the particles, detecting interference patterns, or using advanced imaging techniques. These methods allow scientists to observe the synchronized behavior of bosons and quantify their level of synchronization.