Symbol for Removing an Element from a Set: What Is It?

In summary, there is no standard symbol for representing an element being removed from a set to form a new set. However, the most common symbols used for this operation are \setminus and \, with the latter sometimes being substituted by a hyphen. Additionally, it is also common to see the "^" symbol being used directly above a symbol to indicate its removal.
Shaybay92
My lecturer used a symbol in class that represents an element being removed from a set to form a new set. Does anyone know what this symbol is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no standard symbol for that specific operation but your instructor is free to define one. What symbol did he use?

Well that was the issue, I don't remember what the symbol was, I thought it was a standard.

[tex]\setminus[/tex] or \ is probably the most common; - is sometimes used instead.

The "\" crossing out a figure meaning it has been removed- erased if you like.

Often, you will see something like "^" directly over a symbol to mean it has been removed.

HallsofIvy said:
The "\" crossing out a figure meaning it has been removed- erased if you like.

Often, you will see something like "^" directly over a symbol to mean it has been removed.

Oh. I meant like [itex]\{1,2,3,4,5\}\setminus\{2,3\}=\{1,4,5\}[/itex].

If that's not it, perhaps you could draw the symbol here and see if any matches come up.

Or draw the symbol and show us.

Related to Symbol for Removing an Element from a Set: What Is It?

What is the symbol for removing an element from a set?

The symbol for removing an element from a set is a backward slash (\) followed by the element to be removed. For example, if we want to remove the element "x" from the set A, we would write A\{x}.

How is this symbol different from the subtraction sign?

This symbol is different from the subtraction sign because it specifically indicates removing an element from a set, while the subtraction sign is used for mathematical operations.

Can this symbol be used for any type of set?

Yes, this symbol can be used for any type of set, including numerical sets, sets of objects, and sets of characters.

What happens if we try to remove an element that is not in the set?

If we try to remove an element that is not in the set, the set remains unchanged. The symbol only removes the specified element if it is present in the set.

Is there an alternate symbol for removing an element from a set?

Yes, there is an alternate symbol for removing an element from a set which is the "set difference" symbol (∖). This symbol is similar to the backward slash symbol but is more commonly used in mathematical notation.