Supplement problems to Landau's Classical Field Theory?

In summary, there are few problems in Landau's books. I'm the kind of guy that properly learns material by doing tons of problems. Of course I can pull from other textbooks but there's the issue of different notation, extra material within chapters, etc...
Maybe_Memorie
There's very few problems in Landau's books. I'm the kind of guy that properly learns material by doing tons of problems. Of course I can pull from other textbooks but there's the issue of different notation, extra material within chapters, etc...

Does anyone know of a good resource that can act as supplemental problems (answers necessary, solutions preferable) to Landau?

Physics news on Phys.org
Despite the fact that you can use any set of questions to solve from any other textbook, if you really work through Landau/Lifshitz, I'd say Landau/Lifshitz (one of the best books on classical electromagnetism, because it systematically starts from the much simplifying relativistic point of view from the very beginning) is pretty quick in it's derivations, leaving out a lot of steps. So a very good exercise is to go through in all these derivations in detail yourself. This gives you a lot of exercises to do when reading the book. Anyway, a physics book should always be read with help of a pencil and (a lot of) paper ;-)).

The only problems book I've found that says it explicitly refers to Landau & Lifshitz is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0120821605/?tag=pfamazon01-20, but looking in the book it seems like it's more appropriate for a Jackson problem book than for Landau.

It seems as though there is no book that really uses Lagrangian's to solve the problems you'd get in the early Jackson chapters, even https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750626348/?tag=pfamazon01-20 uses methods similar to Jackson to solve those crazy electrostatics problems, albeit in crazier coordinate systems.

The best resource for Landau-like problems I'm aware of is chapter 4 of this new book (same Toptygin coincidentally), but I haven't looked in detail (though am dying to).

If anybody has a better recommendation I'd love to hear it, but as it stands I think that 'classical particle theory' (most of Jackson) is for tough computational problems, whereas 'classical field theory' (Landau) is for theoretical problems, thus you'd need to look in the problems sections of a load of books on classical field theory to gauge the jist of the problems cft solves...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Supplement problems to Landau's Classical Field Theory?

1. What is Landau's Classical Field Theory?

Landau's Classical Field Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that describes the behavior of classical fields, such as electromagnetic fields, in terms of continuous functions in space and time. It is based on the principle of least action, where the equations of motion of the fields are derived from minimizing the action functional.

2. Why are supplements necessary for Landau's Classical Field Theory?

Supplements are necessary for Landau's Classical Field Theory because the original theory only applies to a limited range of physical systems. By adding supplements, the theory can be extended to a wider range of systems and phenomena, making it more versatile and applicable.

3. What are some common supplement problems in Landau's Classical Field Theory?

Some common supplement problems in Landau's Classical Field Theory include incorporating higher order derivatives, introducing new fields or interactions, and addressing issues with renormalization. These supplements are necessary to improve the accuracy and applicability of the theory.

4. How are supplement problems addressed in Landau's Classical Field Theory?

Supplement problems in Landau's Classical Field Theory are addressed by introducing new terms or parameters into the original theory, which can then be adjusted to better fit experimental data. These supplements are often based on physical intuition or symmetry arguments, and their effectiveness is tested through comparison with experimental results.

5. What are the limitations of using supplements in Landau's Classical Field Theory?

While supplements can greatly improve the accuracy and applicability of Landau's Classical Field Theory, they can also introduce additional complexities and uncertainties. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that a specific supplement will accurately describe a physical system, and it may require further modifications or adjustments to fit experimental data. Ultimately, the use of supplements in the theory is a balance between accuracy and simplicity.