Summing Op Amp Circuit Troubleshooting

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit where V = -5V. The person tried using the equation for a summing op amp and got -3V, which was marked wrong. They are unsure if this is the correct answer and ask for help. After discussing and checking the signs, they realize there was a math error and the correct answer is 6V.
Jayalk97

Homework Statement

Solving for this circuit here, where V = -5V
upload_2017-2-20_1-16-36.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-2-20_1-16-50.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the equation for a summing op amp like this one, plugged everything in and ended up with -3V, which is marked wrong. I'm really at my wit's end here and the homework has been incorrect in the past so I'm not even sure this is the wrong answer, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-20_1-16-33.png
    upload_2017-2-20_1-16-33.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must have a math error somewhere. Are all the signs correct?

TomHart said:
I think you must have a math error somewhere. Are all the signs correct?
I think so, I ended up writing it out and still got 3V

Can you post it?

TomHart said:
Can you post it?
Sure
20170220_013527.jpg

Check the polarity on the 4.5.

TomHart said:
Check the polarity on the 4.5.
Oh the sneaky bastards...
I got 6 volts for it thank you for your help!

Likes TomHart

Related to Summing Op Amp Circuit Troubleshooting

1. What is a summing op amp circuit?

A summing op amp circuit is a type of electronic circuit that adds multiple input signals together to produce a combined output signal. It is commonly used in audio mixers, instrumentation amplifiers, and other applications where multiple signals need to be combined into one.

2. How does a summing op amp circuit work?

A summing op amp circuit works by using the principle of superposition, which states that the output of an op amp is equal to the sum of its inputs multiplied by the amplifier's gain. The circuit typically consists of multiple input resistors connected to a single inverting op amp, with the output voltage being the sum of the input voltages multiplied by the inverting gain.

3. What are the advantages of using a summing op amp circuit?

One major advantage of using a summing op amp circuit is its simplicity and versatility. It can easily combine multiple signals without the need for complex circuitry. Additionally, since the op amp is used in an inverting configuration, the output signal is not affected by variations in the input resistances, making it more accurate.

4. What are some common applications of a summing op amp circuit?

Summing op amp circuits are commonly used in audio mixers, where multiple audio signals need to be combined into one output. They are also used in instrumentation amplifiers for measuring and amplifying small signals, such as in strain gauge applications. Other applications include summing multiple sensor inputs in a control system and creating mathematical functions in electronic circuits.

5. How do I design a summing op amp circuit?

The design of a summing op amp circuit depends on the specific application and required functionality. Generally, it involves selecting the appropriate op amp, determining the input resistors and their values based on the desired gain and input signals, and ensuring proper stability and accuracy through proper selection of feedback and input resistors. It is recommended to consult a circuit design guide or seek assistance from an experienced engineer for more complex designs.