Summation Question (Properties)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about interpreting summation limits, specifically from \sum_{k-j=1}^k (k-j) to \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} (k-j). The confusion is resolved by explicitly writing out the summation limits and rearranging the inequalities. The conclusion is that the two expressions are equivalent.
dogma
I have a rather simple question, but my rusty brain needs a good, swift kick-start.

I start with:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^k i[/tex]

and substitute in [tex]i=k-j[/tex] to get:

[tex]\sum_{k-j=1}^k (k-j)[/tex]

How do I get from this to the following?

[tex]\sum_{k-j=1}^k (k-j) \rightarrow \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} (k-j)[/tex]

Thanks in advance for your help.

dogma

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dogma said:
I have a rather simple question, but my rusty brain needs a good, swift kick-start.

I start with:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^k i[/tex]

and substitute in [tex]i=k-j[/tex] to get:

[tex]\sum_{k-j=1}^k (k-j)[/tex]

How do I get from this to the following?

[tex]\sum_{k-j=1}^k (k-j) \rightarrow \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} (k-j)[/tex]

Thanks in advance for your help.

dogma
You're in some confusion in how to interpret the summation limits.
Let's write it explicitly, to see how it follows:
[tex]\sum_{i\geq{1}}^{i\leq{k}}i=\sum_{(k-j)\geq{1}}^{(k-j)\leq{k}}(k-j)[/tex]

Now, rearrange the inequalities in the last expression:
[tex]\sum_{(k-j)\geq{1}}^{(k-j)\leq{k}}(k-j)=\sum_{(k-1)\geq{j}}^{0\leq{j}}(k-j)[/tex]
Which in standard notation is nothing else than:
[tex]\sum_{j\geq{0}}^{j\leq(k-1)}(k-j)=\sum_{j=0}^{k-1}(k-j)[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you!

I completely understand now. I just need a good, swift kick. :-p

Thanks again and take care!

dogma

Related to Summation Question (Properties)

1. What is a summation question?

A summation question is a scientific inquiry that involves calculating the total of a series of numerical values or variables. It typically involves adding or combining multiple quantities together.

2. What properties do summation questions have?

Summation questions have several key properties, including commutativity (the order of addition does not affect the final result), associativity (the grouping of numbers being added does not affect the final result), and distributivity (the ability to distribute a factor to each term being added).

3. How do you solve a summation question?

To solve a summation question, you first need to identify the pattern or formula for the series of numbers being added. Then, you can use the properties of summation to simplify the expression and calculate the total. It is also helpful to use a calculator or a spreadsheet for more complex summation questions.

4. What is the difference between a summation question and a multiplication question?

A summation question involves adding multiple quantities together, while a multiplication question involves multiplying multiple quantities together. In other words, summation is the process of finding the total of a series of numbers, whereas multiplication is the process of finding the product of a series of numbers.

5. What are some real-life applications of summation questions?

Summation questions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, finance, and computer science. For example, in physics, summation is used to calculate the total force acting on an object, while in finance, it is used to calculate compound interest. In computer science, summation is used in algorithms and programming to perform calculations or iterate through a series of values.