Summation Convention for 2 Vectors

In summary, the question asks to compute XiYj. The answer is provided by multiplying the two vectors x^iy^j.
BHL 20
From an exercise set on the summation convention: X and Y are given as [Xi] = \begin{pmatrix}
1\\ 0\\ 0\\ 1\end{pmatrix} and [Yi] = \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ 1\\ 1\end{pmatrix} There are a few questions involving these vectors. The one I am stuck on asks to compute XiYj . It may be necessary to raise lower indices in the question, the book that this question comes from uses a metric with signature ( - + + + ) for doing this.
I have no attempt, I have no idea what the question actually wants. I thought there is only a summation if the indices are the same and matrix multiplication is obviously not an option

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BHL 20 said:
From an exercise set on the summation convention: X and Y are given as [Xi] = \begin{pmatrix}
1\\ 0\\ 0\\ 1\end{pmatrix} and [Yi] = \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ 1\\ 1\end{pmatrix} There are a few questions involving these vectors. The one I am stuck on asks to compute XiYj .

[itex]x^iy^j[/itex] is the tensor of rank 2 (square matrix) which has [itex]x^i y^j[/itex] at row [itex]i[/itex], column [itex]j[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
So in other words it's a YXT operation that's required. I am quite confused by your answer, is it supposed to be evident from the notation that this is the thing to do?

BHL 20, please don't adorn your text with size tags.

BHL 20 said:
So in other words it's a YXT operation that's required. I am quite confused by your answer, is it supposed to be evident from the notation that this is the thing to do?
Maybe you should post the exact problem statement. "Compute ##X^i Y^j##" doesn't make much sense to me. Does it mean "compute ##X^iY^j## for all i,j? Then the straightforward way is to just do these multiplications one at a time: ##X^0Y^0=1\cdot 0=0##, ##X^1Y^0=0\cdot 0=0##,... The results of these 16 calculations can be arranged in a matrix, which for all i,j, has ##X^iY^j## on row i, column j (and the results can be arranged in other ways as well), but you shouldn't be required to present the result in the form of a matrix.

If you really want to, you can use the definition of matrix multiplication in the following way. For all i,j, we have
$$(XY^T)^i{}_j =\sum_{k=0}^0 X^i{}_k (Y^T)^k{}_j = X^i{}_0 Y^j{}_0 =X^i Y^j.$$

Thanks Fredrik, I see now.

Related to Summation Convention for 2 Vectors

1. What is the Summation Convention for 2 Vectors?

The Summation Convention for 2 Vectors is a mathematical notation used to simplify equations involving vectors by eliminating repetitive summations. It is commonly used in vector calculus and tensor analysis.

2. How does the Summation Convention work?

The Summation Convention works by implying summation over repeated indices in a vector equation. This means that whenever an index appears twice in a term, it is implicitly summed over all possible values. This simplifies equations and makes them easier to read and work with.

3. What are the benefits of using the Summation Convention?

Using the Summation Convention can significantly reduce the number of terms in a vector equation, making it shorter and easier to understand. It also helps to avoid repetitive calculations and can make complex equations more manageable.

4. Can the Summation Convention be applied to more than 2 vectors?

Yes, the Summation Convention can be applied to any number of vectors. It is commonly used with multiple vectors in equations involving tensor calculus, where there can be many indices representing different dimensions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Summation Convention?

One limitation of the Summation Convention is that it can only be applied to terms with repeated indices. It cannot be used for terms with different indices or for terms with no indices. Additionally, care must be taken to ensure that the chosen index does not conflict with other indices in the equation.