Sum Maxwell Lagrangian 1st Term: Use Minus Signs?

In summary, the Lagrangian is a function that is proportional to the electric and magnetic fields in a system.
Gene Naden
So the first term of the Lagrangian is proportional to ##{F_{\mu \nu}}{F^{\mu \nu}}##. I wrote out the matrices for ##{F_{\mu \nu}}## and ##{F^{\mu \nu}}## and multiplied at the terms together and added them up, but some of the terms didn't cancel like they should have. Should I have used minus signs for the fourth (or the first three, depending on the metric convention) components, like when you are raising and lowering indices?

Physics news on Phys.org
F has the electric and magnetic fields in it and ##{F_{\mu \nu}}{F^{\mu \nu}}## is supposed to come out like, depending on the units conventions ##\frac{E^2}{c^2}-B^2##

The product is not a mere matrix multiplication. You need to add F_00 F^00 + 2 F_i0 F^i0 + F_ij F^ij, where upper indices are obtained by raising with the Minkowski metric.

(F is antisymmettric) So it is something like ##2F_{0i}F^{i0} + F_{ij}F^{ij}## where i runs from 1 to 3 and the metric is diag(-1,1,1,1)?

Yes, that works out, but how does one derive the expression ##F_{00}F^{00} + 2F_{0i}F^{i0} + F_{ij}F^{ij}##

Yes, F is antisymmetric, but I included the 00 components to be complete ;)

I don't understand your last question; the lagrangian is proposed based on the fact that it is a Lorentz invariant expression containing first order derivatives of A. Written out it spells the sum.

Thanks. My last question was not about how to derive the Lagrangian but rather about how to go from ##F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu}## to ##
F_{00}F^{00} + 2F_{0i}F^{i0} + F_{ij}F^{ij}##. But maybe that is obvious.

I now see you switched the 0i indices on one of your F's. It should read F_i0 F^i0 or F_0i F^0i, differing a minus sign from your expression.

The way to obtain it is just perform the summation, splitting it into timelike and spacelike components.

Likes Gene Naden

Related to Sum Maxwell Lagrangian 1st Term: Use Minus Signs?

1. What is the significance of the minus sign in the first term of the Maxwell Lagrangian?

The minus sign in the first term of the Maxwell Lagrangian represents the negative energy density associated with the electric and magnetic fields. It is necessary to include this term in order to accurately describe the dynamics of electromagnetic fields.

2. Why is the first term in the Maxwell Lagrangian negative?

The first term in the Maxwell Lagrangian is negative because it represents the energy density of the electric and magnetic fields, which is a negative quantity. By including this term with a minus sign, the Lagrangian function accounts for the decrease in energy as the fields interact with each other.

3. Does the minus sign in the first term affect the overall behavior of the Maxwell Lagrangian?

Yes, the minus sign in the first term does affect the behavior of the Maxwell Lagrangian. It contributes to the overall negative sign in the Lagrangian function, which is crucial for accurately describing the dynamics of electromagnetic fields.

4. What happens if the minus sign in the first term is omitted?

If the minus sign in the first term of the Maxwell Lagrangian is omitted, the resulting Lagrangian function would not accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It would also lead to incorrect equations of motion and predictions of electromagnetic phenomena.

5. How does the first term in the Maxwell Lagrangian relate to the conservation of energy?

The first term in the Maxwell Lagrangian plays a crucial role in the conservation of energy. By including the negative energy density of the electric and magnetic fields, the Lagrangian function ensures that the total energy in a system is conserved over time.