Suitable Container Materials for Plasma

In summary, the conversation is about the use of plasma antennas and the search for suitable glassware to create a plasma. The discussion also includes the possibility of using a different material and the use of inductively coupled plasmas for material analysis. The main concern is finding a suitable vessel for creating a diffused type of plasma using Helium gas.
Smithy16
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so go easy on me. :)

I am looking towards investigating the properties of plasma antennas, where a plasma is created in a sealed container, and the RF signal is either capacitively or inductively coupled and the transmitted.

However, I am wanting to try a spherical shaped object. I would need to be able to pass two electrodes through opposite poles of the sphere, in order to create the plasma.

However, I cannot seem to find any glassware which suits the bill. The closest object I can find is something called a chromatography reservoir, as below:
3f45_1.JPG

However, the necks on these are a bit small in diameter.

I was wondering if it might be possible to use a material other than glass?

Or perhaps someone might know of the correct name of the piece.

Many thanks for your help in advanced, everyone.

Smithy

Physics news on Phys.org
If one wishes to make a plasma and observe it from the outside, then the vessel probably needs to be ceramic (e.g., glass). Depending on the gas, one could use a two or three neck flask. What gas is one planning on using.

One could look at discharge lamps, e.g., those already filled with a particular gas, for examples.

Inductively coupled plasmas (ICP) are used for material analysis through optical spectroscopy. That is another example.

Many thanks for your reply, Astronuc.

I intend on using Helium.

I am also attempting to create the diffused sort of plasma, rather than the filament type. Will having the electrodes close together (in a two necked flask) affect this?

Many thanks again,

Smithy

Also, thanks to the admin/mod who moved this to a more appropriate forum. :)

Related to Suitable Container Materials for Plasma

What are the most commonly used container materials for storing plasma?

The most commonly used container materials for storing plasma are glass, plastic, and stainless steel. These materials are chosen because they are non-reactive and have a low risk of contamination.

Why is it important to choose suitable container materials for storing plasma?

Selecting the right container materials is crucial for maintaining the integrity and safety of plasma. Unsuitable materials can lead to contamination, degradation of the plasma, and potential harm to patients who receive the plasma.

What properties should container materials have for storing plasma?

Container materials for storing plasma should have the following properties: non-reactive to plasma components, impermeable to gases and liquids, able to withstand extreme temperatures, and resistant to physical damage.

Can plastic containers be used for storing plasma?

Yes, plastic containers can be used for storing plasma, but they must be made from specific materials that are deemed suitable for this purpose. This includes polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA).

Are there any regulations for container materials used for storing plasma?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by regulatory bodies such as the FDA and European Medicines Agency (EMA) that dictate the acceptable container materials for storing plasma. These regulations ensure the safety and quality of plasma products for patients.