Study Plan for Astronautic Systems

In summary, the speaker is a junior at University majoring in math and philosophy. They have completed most of their philosophy major and are now focusing on math, with plans to take courses in differential equations, proofs, and economics. They are also studying C++ and have a strong interest in space sciences, particularly astronautics and propulsion design. They have struggled in some of their previous science courses but have been self-studying physics and are determined to pursue their interests in this field. They ask for book recommendations in a forum for science and math textbooks.
Domn
Hello everyone, I'm a math and philosophy double major currently in my junior year at University. So far, I've spent the better half of two years studying philosophy and have five credits to go before I complete the major (focused primarily on philosophy of science, and epistemology). This quarter I declared a major in mathematics with a Bachelor of Arts options and have completed the calculus sequence, and am a few weeks shy of competing linear algebra. I'm intending to take differential equations next quarter, and intro to proofs along with intermediate macroeconomics. After real analysis I plan on focusing my electives in statistics, and numerical analysis, and have been studying C++ out of the C++ primer for several months now to hone my computer knowledge and have a basic enough understanding to make simple calculators, use strings, and loops.

Since I was a kid, I've had a deep interested in space sciences, and remember watching the first commercial space rocket launch by Space X, and feeling in awe concerning the entire thing. The issue is that I've taken chemistry 142 (first class in the freshman chem sequence), and Physics 121 (freshman calc based physics), and I didn't due to well due to my immaturity at the time (skipping classes and such), along with working as a pizza delivery driver 25-32 hours a week, but still managed to pass although not with the best grades.

I know this is nothing to look highly upon, but since then I've been studying "University Physics" by Young and Freedman by doing example problems and the problems at the end each chapter when I'm at work, or have completed my other homework. I'm good at keeping myself focused my learning goals when I self-study, and make attempts to derive whatever's handed to me. I really want to work in the field of astronautics or propulsion design someday, but I understand that math isn't as technically oriented as other majors such as engineering. Is there a way to get the appropriate knowledge through books on the topics? I won't be discouraged by difficulty and understand it might take a while. I've never really been a fan of light reading, and I have an unquenchable thirst for new knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Study Plan for Astronautic Systems

1. What is a study plan for astronautic systems?

A study plan for astronautic systems is a structured plan that outlines the courses and research projects a student will undertake in order to gain knowledge and skills in the field of astronautic systems. It typically includes a combination of theoretical coursework and hands-on experience, and may also involve internships or collaborations with industry professionals.

2. Why is a study plan important for astronautic systems?

A study plan is important for astronautic systems because it helps students to focus their studies and ensure they are gaining a comprehensive understanding of the field. It also allows students to set goals and track their progress, as well as identify areas of weakness that may need to be addressed.

3. How do you create a study plan for astronautic systems?

To create a study plan for astronautic systems, you should first research the specific requirements and expectations of the program or institution you will be studying at. Next, consider your personal goals and interests within the field, and identify any areas you may need to focus on. Finally, create a schedule that balances coursework, research, and practical experience.

4. What skills are important to develop in a study plan for astronautic systems?

In a study plan for astronautic systems, it is important to develop skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical knowledge of spacecraft design and operation. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are essential for working effectively in a team of astronauts and engineers.

5. How can a study plan for astronautic systems lead to a career in the field?

A study plan for astronautic systems can lead to a career in the field by providing students with the necessary knowledge and skills to work in the industry. Additionally, students may have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects, which can help them build a professional network and make them more competitive in the job market.