Stress energy tensor general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a scalar field, denoted by \phi, in finding the energy tensor equation and its similarity to a wave equation. The question is raised about the specific type of scalar field that \phi represents, to which it is explained that it can be any scalar field with units of energy density.
mertcan
Hi, I would like say that in this link ( ) and starting from 56.28 Suskind tries to find the energy tensor equation using \phi, afterwards he finds a equation similar to wave equation in terms of \phi. My question is: For what does \phi stand ? I could not capture the meaning of \phi. Could you explain it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mertcan said:
For what does \phi stand

I believe it stands for a scalar field, which is the simplest kind of field (it's just a number at every point of spacetime).

He calls it a "wave field" around 53:50, but as Peter says it's just a scalar field.

Well, I am aware that it is a scalar field, but What kind of a scalar field does it stands for ? This scalar field does not have any name ? For instance is it a temperature, energy... ?

mertcan said:
What kind of a scalar field does it stands for

Any scalar field. AFAICT, Susskind is just explaining the general way that the stress-energy tensor of a scalar field works. He is not trying to explain the physics of any particular scalar field. The only property that would have to be assumed is that the field has units of energy density.

Related to Stress energy tensor general relativity

1. What is the Stress Energy Tensor in General Relativity?

The Stress Energy Tensor is a mathematical object in the theory of General Relativity that describes the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime. It is a 4x4 matrix that includes components for energy density, momentum density, and pressure.

2. How is the Stress Energy Tensor related to Einstein's Field Equations?

The Stress Energy Tensor is a key component in Einstein's Field Equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy. The tensor is on the right side of the equations, representing the source of gravity in the universe.

3. What are the units of the Stress Energy Tensor?

The units of the Stress Energy Tensor depend on the system of units being used. In natural units, where the speed of light is equal to 1, the units are energy per unit volume. In SI units, the units are joules per cubic meter.

4. How is the Stress Energy Tensor calculated or measured?

The Stress Energy Tensor can be calculated theoretically using equations in General Relativity or it can be measured experimentally using devices such as particle accelerators or telescopes. It is a fundamental concept in physics and has been extensively studied and tested through various experiments.

5. What is the significance of the Stress Energy Tensor in understanding the universe?

The Stress Energy Tensor is a crucial concept in understanding the universe as it describes the distribution of matter and energy, which are the building blocks of the universe. It is used in General Relativity to explain gravity and the curvature of spacetime, and is essential in understanding the dynamics and evolution of the universe.