Stress Concentration Calculation

In summary, the person is asking about the stress concentration factor (Kt) for a cantilever beam with a fillet at the root and a point load applied at the end. They are wondering if they can get this factor for a 3D beam where the thickness is comparable to the length. The conversation also mentions Peterson's SCF handbook and finding an approximation for Kt through research.
koolraj09
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know the stress concentration factor (Kt) for a cantilever beam with a fillet at the root with a point load applied at the end. Can I get the stress concentration factor if this beam is a 3D beam (thickness is comparable to length)?
I had a look at Peterson's SCF handbook but this particular geometry is i guess complex to be not listed.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean that the depth of the beam is comparable to its length?

Thickness is the beam width, into the page.

koolraj09 said:
Can I get the stress concentration factor if this beam is a 3D beam (thickness is comparable to length)?

koolraj09: Yes, you could get an approximation, especially if the tip load is consistently applied, per unit width into the page, along the tip of the cantilever.

See the attached figure. It probably comes from Peterson's, or similar. Let us know if the figure is unclear.

Attachments

• scf01.png
    scf01.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 3,119
Likes 1 person

Related to Stress Concentration Calculation

What is stress concentration calculation?

Stress concentration calculation is a method used in engineering to determine the maximum stress at a specific point in a material caused by a sudden change in its shape or geometry. This can help engineers design more efficient and durable structures.

Why is stress concentration calculation important?

Stress concentration calculation is important because it helps engineers identify areas of a structure that may be more susceptible to failure due to high stress levels. By identifying these areas, engineers can modify the design to reduce stress and increase the overall strength of the structure.

What factors affect stress concentration?

The factors that affect stress concentration include the shape and geometry of the material, the type of loading applied, and the material properties. Other factors such as surface finish and temperature can also play a role in stress concentration.

How is stress concentration calculated?

Stress concentration is typically calculated using mathematical equations and numerical analysis methods. These calculations take into account the relevant factors such as geometry, loading, and material properties to determine the maximum stress at a specific point in the structure.

Can stress concentration be completely eliminated?

No, stress concentration cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be minimized through careful design and material selection. Engineers use stress concentration calculations to identify areas of high stress and make design modifications to reduce stress levels and improve the overall strength and durability of the structure.