Stratified Thermal Energy Storage

In summary: It is not clear what you are asking for.More specific...Can you give me a link where I can find a calculation for this? In summary, the new student wants to know if there is someone who can help him with a project about stratified thermal energy storage. He has found some helpful papers on the subject, and is asking for someone to send him resources or a link.
TeKNoMaNiaK
I'm new to message..

I have a project about stratifed thermal energy storage...

Are there anyone that can help me to guide or give resources about this subject.?

In my project: heat is stored in stratified way: there is a thermal layer between hot and cold water.

Anyone who knows about subject of the project can help me although he/she knows specific subject about this subject.

Thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to be much more specific than that for us to be able to help you.

Much more specific... Hımm...

My energy storage container is like the storages in the CHP's or in solar heating/cooling systems according to my investigation results..

The hot water is given from the top of the container and at that time cold water is taken from the bottom part of the container. The important thing is to satisfy a thermal layer where heat and cold mixes little forming a layer (thermally) and prevent hot/cold water mix together at all of the storage.

My purpose of the project is simply design this type of storage (not PCM, not chemical reaction!)...

The boundary conditions of my design is also simple: Capacity of the storage is 1,4 MJ and its charge/decharge power is 1 MW. The input water temperatur e is 70 Degrees Celcius and Output water degree is: 40 degress Celcius..

Wanna any more information to help me?

Please send me any information that can help me for my design.. I do not fail to pass the class... :(

Thanx...

Ok, well, specifications are a good start. Have you done any calculations on flow rates and volumes required for that kind of capacity?

I don't know how in depth the project is supposed to be, but a google turns up some serious papers on the subject. Here are a bunch: http://www.engr.psu.edu/AE/faculty/bahnfleth/publications/thermal_energy.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Ok, well, specifications are a good start. Have you done any calculations on flow rates and volumes required for that kind of capacity?

I don't know how in depth the project is supposed to be, but a google turns up some serious papers on the subject. Here are a bunch: http://www.engr.psu.edu/AE/faculty/bahnfleth/publications/thermal_energy.asp

I don't know if it is tru or not: the required volume is: 20 m3 and the flow rate is 20 m3/26 minutes... But I wanr you I'm not sure about the results.

Thanx for the reference that you gave:russ_watters... Anyone who can send me resources that he/she has or sends me link?

Thanxx...

Last edited by a moderator:
Also it must be known that the system must work under 25 bar pressure.. May be this makes the work hard.

Related to Stratified Thermal Energy Storage

1. What is stratified thermal energy storage?

Stratified thermal energy storage is a method of storing thermal energy in layers of different temperatures within a storage tank. This allows for the separation of hot and cold water, resulting in more efficient heat transfer and energy storage.

2. How does stratified thermal energy storage work?

During the charging process, hot water is pumped into the top of the storage tank while cold water is pumped into the bottom. As the hot water rises and the cold water sinks, the layers of water form distinct temperature zones within the tank. During the discharging process, the hot water is extracted from the top of the tank while the cold water remains at the bottom.

3. What are the benefits of using stratified thermal energy storage?

Stratified thermal energy storage offers several benefits, including increased energy efficiency, reduced energy costs, and improved system performance. By separating hot and cold water, heat loss is minimized, and heat transfer is optimized. This results in lower energy consumption and cost savings for the user.

4. What types of systems can benefit from stratified thermal energy storage?

Stratified thermal energy storage can be implemented in various systems, including district heating and cooling systems, solar thermal systems, and industrial heating and cooling systems. It is also suitable for both residential and commercial buildings, making it a versatile and widely applicable energy storage solution.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with stratified thermal energy storage?

While stratified thermal energy storage offers numerous benefits, there are some limitations and challenges to consider. These include the initial cost of installing the system, the space required for the storage tank, and the need for proper maintenance to ensure optimum performance. Additionally, the effectiveness of the system may be affected by external factors such as ambient temperature and weather conditions.