Stiffness matrix for a symmetric structure

In summary, the problem cannot be solved using symmetry due to the presence of the roller support at node 1. Instead, you will need to consider the reaction force at node 1 as an unknown and solve the equations of equilibrium and boundary conditions to find the solution.
Amaelle
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Good day All
While trying to solve the following exercice, I was stucked by a couple of issues
exo.png

for the first part in which we have to find the simplest configuration ( symmetry)
according to my basic understanding Symmetry must be :

• geometry
  • load
  • support
here I don t have the third condition ( the roller in node 1 ) break the rule so i don't think we can talk about symmetry? Please correct me if I m wrong.

But despite that I have decided to follow up with the symmetry approach and I have chosen
this symmetry ( the red line represent the axe of symmetry)
solution.png
solution.png

and I ended having the following matrix
MATRIX.png

I have projected the reaction of the roller on node 1 on the axis u1 and u2
(R*cos 45 and R*sin 45°)
I've putted the boundary conditions
but while trying to slove the matrix to find U1
I ve ended up with two unkowns U1 and R
any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks a million!

Attachments

• exo.png
    exo.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 838
  • solution.png
    solution.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 702
  • MATRIX.png
    MATRIX.png
    8 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding of symmetry is correct. The roller support at node 1 does break the symmetry and so you cannot use the symmetric approach to solve this problem. To solve the problem, you will need to consider the reaction force at node 1 as an unknown variable and solve the equations of equilibrium and boundary conditions with the 6 unknowns (three forces in each direction). This will give you a system of 6 equations with 6 unknowns which can be solved to find the reactions.

Related to Stiffness matrix for a symmetric structure

1. What is a stiffness matrix for a symmetric structure?

A stiffness matrix for a symmetric structure is a mathematical representation of the stiffness properties of a structure. It is a square matrix that relates the displacements and forces at different points of the structure, and it takes into account the material properties and geometry of the structure.

2. How is a stiffness matrix calculated for a symmetric structure?

A stiffness matrix is typically calculated using the finite element method, which involves subdividing the structure into smaller elements and then using mathematical equations to determine the stiffness of each element. These individual element stiffness values are then combined to form the overall stiffness matrix for the structure.

3. What information can be obtained from a stiffness matrix for a symmetric structure?

A stiffness matrix provides valuable information about the structural behavior of a symmetric structure. It can be used to calculate the displacements, stresses, and forces within the structure under different loading conditions. It can also be used to identify critical areas of the structure that may require additional reinforcement.

4. How is a stiffness matrix used in structural analysis?

A stiffness matrix is an essential tool in structural analysis as it allows engineers to predict the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions. It is used to solve equations of equilibrium and compatibility, which are necessary for determining the displacements, stresses, and forces within the structure.

5. Are there any limitations to using a stiffness matrix for a symmetric structure?

While a stiffness matrix is a powerful tool for structural analysis, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the structure is linearly elastic, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account any nonlinearities or material failures that may occur in the structure. Additionally, the accuracy of the stiffness matrix is highly dependent on the accuracy of the inputs used in its calculation.