Statics: Internal forces at a point along a beam

In summary, the problem involved finding the forces and moments at different points of a system in static equilibrium. Two methods were used to analyze the forces and moments at point J, with the second method giving the correct directions according to the book. Both methods ultimately resulted in a system in static equilibrium.
yaro99

Homework Statement

z0VQCtH.png

Homework Equations

ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
ƩM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD of the entire thing:
JveTSR9.png

ƩMB = 780(0.3) + (5/13)T*(0.72) - (12/13)T*(0.6) = 0
T = 845N

ƩFx = Bx + (5/13)*845 = 0
Bx = 325N ←
ƩFy = By + (12/13)*845 = 0
By = 780N ↓

Now here is where I tried 2 different methods for the forces at J:

Method 1:

FBD of CDJ:
Jrk8kfg.png

ƩFx = (5/13)*845 - (12/13)V + (5/13)F = 0
ƩFy = (12/13)*845 - 780 + (5/13)V + (12/13)F = 0
θ = arctan(5/13) = 22.6°
F = 125N 67.4° down and to the left
V = 300N 22.6° up and to the left

horizontal distance from D to J = 0.24/tan(67.4°) = 0.1m
ƩMJ = (5/13)*845*(0.24) - (12/13)*845*(0.4) + 780*(0.1) + M = 0
M = 156 N*m counterclockwise

This method gives me the correct magnitudes, but the directions are supposed to be opposite of what I got, which I don't understand.

Method 2:

FBD of BJ:
5IOevDl.png

ƩFx = (12/13)V - (5/13)F - 325 = 0
ƩFy = -(5/13)V - (12/13)F - 780 = 0

F = 845N 67.4° up and to the right
V = 0N

horizontal distance from J to B = 0.48/tan(67.4°) = 0.2m
ƩMJ = 325*(0.48) -780*(0.2) + M = 0
M = 144 N*m counterclockwise

I am not sure why this method gives me incorrect answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
yaro99 said:
ƩFy = By + (12/13)*845 = 0
By = 780N ↓
Did you leave out one of the vertical forces here?

I agree with your answers for Method 1 including your directions.

Last edited:
There is no By force. The horizontal force in the AC rope is 780. It looks like your forgot to add that in on your Sum of y-direction forces.

Maiq said:
There is no By force. The horizontal force in the AC rope is 780. It looks like your forgot to add that in on your Sum of y-direction forces.

Oh yeah, thanks for the correction. I have the right numbers and directions now, using the second method.

TSny said:
Did you leave out one of the vertical forces here?

I agree with your answers for Method 1 including your directions.

Doing method 2 I get the "correct" directions according to the book, which are opposite those in method 1.

Your answers for both methods should have opposite directions. If you were to put those two sections back together the forces at J would cancel out and the whole system would be in static equilibrium. I guess your book just used method two but either way would be correct.

Maiq said:
Your answers for both methods should have opposite directions. If you were to put those two sections back together the forces at J would cancel out and the whole system would be in static equilibrium. I guess your book just used method two but either way would be correct.

Ah, ok, this makes sense. Thanks!

Related to Statics: Internal forces at a point along a beam

1. What is a beam in statics?

A beam in statics is a structural element that is designed to support loads and resist forces. It is usually long and slender, and its main function is to transfer loads from one point to another. Beams are commonly used in bridges, buildings, and other structures.

2. What are internal forces in a beam?

Internal forces in a beam refer to the forces that are acting within the beam itself. These forces are caused by the external loads applied to the beam and are necessary for maintaining the equilibrium of the beam. They include shear forces, bending moments, and axial forces.

3. How do you calculate internal forces at a point along a beam?

The internal forces at a point along a beam can be calculated using the equations of static equilibrium. By considering the external loads, geometry of the beam, and its support conditions, the internal forces at a specific point can be determined using the equations of equilibrium - sum of forces and sum of moments equal to zero.

4. What factors affect the internal forces in a beam?

The internal forces in a beam are affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of external loads, the geometry of the beam, and the support conditions. Additionally, the material properties of the beam, such as its modulus of elasticity and cross-sectional area, can also affect the internal forces.

5. Why is it important to understand internal forces in a beam?

Understanding internal forces in a beam is crucial for the safe and efficient design of structures. By knowing the internal forces at different points along a beam, engineers can determine the maximum stresses and deflections in the beam and ensure that it can withstand the applied loads. This knowledge is essential for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of buildings, bridges, and other structures.