Statics free body diagram concept question

In summary, the figure shown is a free body diagram of bar ABC, not member BD. The horizontal member BD is placed in compression by the downward force of the horizontal member, while the free body diagram of bar ABC only shows the forces relative to how they affect it.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachments

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the explanation attachment, I don't get the last paragraph "Note that force Fce acts downward on bar...compression."

Since from the figure Fce is pointing down, and Fbd is pointing up, shouldn't bar BD be in tension and bar CE in compression? I know intuitively just by looking at the figure, yes, obviously BD is in compression and CE is in tension, but I'm confused by the free body diagram the book draws and its subsequent explanation. I must be missing some concept here. Thanks.

Attachments

• Scanned Image.jpg
    Scanned Image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal member pushes down on member BD, placing it in compression. In turn, member BD pushes up on the horizontal member (equal and opposite). Thus, FBD points up in the bottom picture, which is a free body diagram of the horizontal member. A free body diagram of member BD will have an force pointing down at the top and a force pointing up at the bottom (ground reaction). That's how free body diagrams work.

Last edited:
ah so the figure is a free body diagram of the *bar ABC* and not member BD, so it only displays the forces relative to how they effect ABC? Thanks a lot.

Correct.

I would like to clarify the concept of tension and compression in the context of statics free body diagrams. In this particular example, the free body diagram shows two bars connected at a joint, with forces acting on them. The force Fce is acting downward on bar CE, while the force Fbd is acting upward on bar BD.

Now, when we talk about tension and compression in a structural system, we are referring to the internal forces that are created within the bars due to an external load. In this case, the external load is the force Fce and Fbd acting on the bars. Tension refers to the force that pulls the two ends of a bar away from each other, while compression refers to the force that pushes the two ends of a bar towards each other.

In the free body diagram, the force Fce is acting downward on bar CE, which means it is pulling the two ends of the bar away from each other. This creates tension in the bar CE. On the other hand, the force Fbd is acting upward on bar BD, which means it is pushing the two ends of the bar towards each other. This creates compression in the bar BD.

So, in conclusion, the free body diagram and its explanation are correct. The force Fce is creating tension in bar CE, while the force Fbd is creating compression in bar BD. I hope this clarifies your confusion and helps you understand the concept of tension and compression in statics free body diagrams.

Related to Statics free body diagram concept question

1. What is a free body diagram in statics?

A free body diagram is a graphical representation used in statics to analyze and illustrate the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces and moments acting on the object, without including the object itself.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by isolating the object of interest and representing it as a point. Then, identify all the external forces acting on the object, such as weight, normal force, friction, and applied forces. Draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force, and label them accordingly. Finally, include any moments acting on the object as arrows or circles with a direction of rotation.

3. Why are free body diagrams important in statics?

Free body diagrams are important in statics because they allow us to visually understand and analyze the forces acting on an object. By identifying and drawing all the forces, we can determine which forces are in equilibrium and solve for unknown forces or moments using equations of static equilibrium.

4. Can a free body diagram be used for moving objects?

No, free body diagrams are only used for stationary or static objects. For moving objects, we use a similar concept called a kinetic diagram, which takes into account the forces and moments acting on the object as it moves.

5. Do I need to include all the forces in a free body diagram?

Yes, it is important to include all the external forces acting on an object in a free body diagram. This allows us to accurately analyze the forces and solve for any unknowns. However, internal forces, such as the force of one part of an object on another part, can be omitted since they do not affect the equilibrium of the object.