Static Friction Text Problem

In summary, the problem deals with calculating the maximum angle of a hill on which a car can be parked without sliding due to static friction between the hard rubber tires and the normal street pavement. The coefficient of static friction is given as 0.8. The downward force is equal to "g" and the normal force is also equal to "g". However, finding the angle is proving difficult without a formula or example in the textbook. A helpful resource with diagrams and formulas is provided for reference. The textbook information is also requested.
Havoc2020
Hi, the problem I have is one dealing with static friction. The problem states: The coefficient of static friction between hard rubber and normal street pavement is about 0.8. On how steep a hill (maximum angle) can you leave a parked car?

I know that the downward force is "g" and that the normal force is equal to "g" since there is no acceleration. I am just having problems finding the angle. Our textbook is lacking in examples. I am not looking for an answer but a formula to use or even a hint.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
On a flat horizontal surface, the weight (mg) would point directly down. As the angle increases, the weight points down, but the component normal to the surface is reduced by the cos of the angle.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html#fp
Look at the third pane.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the help. The formulas and the diagram helped alot.

Havoc2020 said:
Hi, the problem I have is one dealing with static friction. The problem states: The coefficient of static friction between hard rubber and normal street pavement is about 0.8. On how steep a hill (maximum angle) can you leave a parked car?

I know that the downward force is "g" and that the normal force is equal to "g" since there is no acceleration. I am just having problems finding the angle. Our textbook is lacking in examples. I am not looking for an answer but a formula to use or even a hint.

Thanks in advance.

Which textbook did you get that question from? can give me the ISBN # and the site you bought it from ?

thanks

Related to Static Friction Text Problem

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other and are not moving relative to each other. It is the force that prevents an object from sliding or moving when a force is applied to it.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already moving.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, the normal force (perpendicular force) applied to the surfaces, and the roughness or texture of the surfaces.

4. How do you calculate static friction?

The formula for calculating static friction is Fs = μS * N, where Fs is the force of static friction, μS is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force.

5. How can static friction be reduced?

Static friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces, or by increasing the surface area in contact between the two surfaces. Additionally, reducing the normal force or using smoother surfaces can also reduce static friction.