State Functions for Internal Energy and Enthelphy

In summary, the internal energy is a state function that depends on the temperature, pressure, and volume of the system. The equation of state requires that the function f(P,v,T) must be equal to zero in order to solve for internal energy, which can be expressed as u = u (T,p).
Kushwoho44
Hi,

As is commonly known,

u = u(T,v)
h = u(T,p)

I've worked with some maths proofs of this a while ago, but do you guys have an intuitive way of understanding this without the maths, that is, why the state function for internal energy is defined by intensive volume and enthalpy with pressure?

I seem to recall, I used the model for thought, that if a system had a moving boundary, as in the case of a changing enthalpy, then the volume would not stay constant, so we could not use the constant volume specific heat capacity, so we used specific pressure, but I feel like a new way of thinking about it is required for me..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Kushwoho44!

Enthalpy is typically used for chemical processes in an open environment, meaning that pressure is constant at standard atmospheric pressure, and volume is not easily measurable.
Internal energy is more used for physical processes where volume is measurable.

Likes Kushwoho44
Kushwoho44 said:
Hi,

As is commonly known,

u = u(T,v)
h = u(T,p)

I've worked with some maths proofs of this a while ago, but do you guys have an intuitive way of understanding this without the maths, that is, why the state function for internal energy is defined by intensive volume and enthalpy with pressure?

I seem to recall, I used the model for thought, that if a system had a moving boundary, as in the case of a changing enthalpy, then the volume would not stay constant, so we could not use the constant volume specific heat capacity, so we used specific pressure, but I feel like a new way of thinking about it is required for me..
All of thermodynamics could be derived without ever introducing the enthalpy function. Also, an equation of state requires that f(P,v,T)=0, so that specifying any two of these determines the third. So, internal energy could also be specified as u = u (T,p). Given these facts, we must conclude that expressing u as a function of T and v, and h as a function of T and P must merely be a matter of convenience in solving various types of problems. There is nothing fundamental about it.

Likes Kushwoho44
Thanks guys! That makes so much sense.

Related to State Functions for Internal Energy and Enthelphy

1. What are state functions for internal energy and enthalpy?

State functions for internal energy and enthalpy are thermodynamic properties that depend only on the current state of a system and not on how the system reached that state. In other words, they are independent of the path taken to reach a particular state and only depend on the initial and final states.

2. How are internal energy and enthalpy related?

Internal energy and enthalpy are both measures of the total energy of a system. However, enthalpy also takes into account the energy associated with the pressure and volume of the system, while internal energy only considers the energy associated with the temperature of the system.

3. What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

The main difference between internal energy and enthalpy is that enthalpy includes the energy associated with the pressure and volume of a system, while internal energy only includes the energy associated with the temperature of the system.

4. How are state functions for internal energy and enthalpy used in thermodynamics?

State functions for internal energy and enthalpy are important in thermodynamics because they allow us to calculate the change in energy of a system without needing to know the details of how the system changed. This allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems without having to measure every single variable.

5. Can state functions for internal energy and enthalpy be measured directly?

No, state functions for internal energy and enthalpy cannot be measured directly. They can only be calculated by knowing the initial and final states of a system and using thermodynamic equations. However, changes in internal energy and enthalpy can be measured through temperature and pressure changes using appropriate instruments.