Starting Limits HW Supposedly Easy

• Thread starter Phyzwizz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is discussing the limit of the function f(x)=ln(x)/x as x approaches 0 from the right. One person graphed the equation and plugged in points approaching zero on the right side, but it seemed to go on for infinity. However, another person clarifies that the limit is neither infinity nor negative infinity, but instead the limit of ln(x) is negative infinity while the limit of x approaches 0, resulting in a limit of 0. The conversation also briefly mentions using custom equations to make math equations look clean and wonderful on the site.
Phyzwizz
Just started learning limits today but I got stuck on this last problem...

Let f be the function given by f(x)=lnx/x for all x>0

Find lim f(x) as x-->0+

So I graphed the equation and plugged in points approaching zero on the right side but it seems to go on for infinity. Is the limit infinity? is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. In fact it goes to -∞.

Uh, no, the limit is neither [itex]\infty[/itex] nor [itex]-\infty[/itex]. The limit, as x goes to 0, of ln(x) is [itex]-\infty[/itex] (which may be what LCKurtz meant) but that x in the denominator makes the limit 0. x goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] "faster" than ln(x) goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. That clears things up. Oh and this doesn't have anything to do with limits, but how do you do the custom equations thing that makes the math equations on this site look so clean and wonderful.

HallsofIvy said:
Uh, no, the limit is neither [itex]\infty[/itex] nor [itex]-\infty[/itex]. The limit, as x goes to 0, of ln(x) is [itex]-\infty[/itex] (which may be what LCKurtz meant) but that x in the denominator makes the limit 0. x goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] "faster" than ln(x) goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

I don't follow this. If we're talking about:

[tex]\frac{ln(x)}{x}[/tex]

As x -> 0+, the numerator approaches -inf and the denominator approaches +0, so you should obtain -inf?

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:

The limit is -∞. x → 0 in the denominator giving a -∞/0+ form.

Related to Starting Limits HW Supposedly Easy

1. What is the purpose of starting limits in homework?

The purpose of starting limits in homework is to introduce students to the concept of limits and provide them with practice in solving problems involving limits. This is an important concept in calculus and is used in various other fields of science and mathematics.

2. Why are starting limits considered easy?

Starting limits are considered easy because they typically involve simple functions and require basic algebraic manipulation to solve. They are often used as a stepping stone to more complex limit problems.

3. Do I need to have prior knowledge of calculus to solve starting limit problems?

No, you do not need to have prior knowledge of calculus to solve starting limit problems. However, a basic understanding of algebra and functions is necessary.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving starting limits?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving starting limits include forgetting to simplify the expression, using incorrect algebraic rules, and not considering the behavior of the function as the limit approaches the given value.

5. How can I check my answer for a starting limit problem?

You can check your answer for a starting limit problem by plugging in the given value into the limit expression and simplifying it. The resulting value should match your answer. Additionally, you can use online limit calculators to verify your answer.