Spur gear selection for parallel shafts

In summary, the conversation is about attaching a 12 teeth pinion to a 4mm diameter shaft with a flat tip. The person asking for help has been looking for pinions and gears but they do not specify how they are attached to a shaft. The suggested solution is to use a set screw in the gear's hub, like in the W.M.Berg gear provided as an example. The person asking the question is also wondering if there are any stainless steel gears that match a flat tip shaft. The expert responds by saying that the flat tip is made for the set screw and that the person may have seen gears with an opposite shape for flat tip shafts. The expert also apologizes for any spelling mistakes.
novato
Hi,

I have a DC motor with 4mm diameter shaft, flat tip.

How can I attach a 12 teeth pinion to this drive shaft?. I have been loking for pinions and gears on the web but they don't specify how are they attached to a shaft, as there are round shafts and flat tip shafts. Do I have to ask for gears with hub and set screw?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Novato

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many ways to do it, one of the simplest would be a set screw in the gear's hub, like on this W.M.Berg gear:

http://www.wmberg.com/catalog/photos/B05B065.jpg
http://www.wmberg.com/catalog/productsearch.aspx?url=http://wmberg.smartcats.com/sc_app/default.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
The set screw is a good option but, is there any stainless steel gear that matches a flat tip shaft like this?

Attachments

• Flat shaft DC gear motor.jpg
    Flat shaft DC gear motor.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The flat is made for the set screw. Who/what are stanley steel gears?

FredGarvin said:
Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The flat is made for the set screw. Who/what are stanley steel gears?
Thank you. I have seen some gears that have an opposite shape for flat tip shafts.
PD: I'm sorry about the bad spelling.

Related to Spur gear selection for parallel shafts

1. What is the purpose of spur gears in parallel shafts?

Spur gears are used to transmit rotary motion and torque between parallel shafts. They also provide speed reduction or increase, as well as direction change.

2. How do you determine the gear ratio for spur gears?

The gear ratio is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driven gear has 20 teeth and the driving gear has 10 teeth, the gear ratio is 20/10 or 2:1.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting spur gears for parallel shafts?

Some important factors to consider include the speed and torque requirements, the type of load (steady or intermittent), the size and weight limitations, and the desired gear ratio.

4. How can you ensure proper alignment of spur gears in parallel shafts?

Proper alignment is crucial for the smooth operation and longevity of spur gears. It can be achieved by using precision machining and assembly techniques, as well as using alignment tools and shims to adjust the position of the gears.

5. What are some common materials used for spur gears in parallel shafts?

Spur gears can be made from a variety of materials such as steel, cast iron, bronze, and plastic. The choice of material depends on factors such as the application, load, and cost considerations.